Linux variants with reference to previous experience

Linux variants with reference to previous experience

Post by Alex Cockel » Mon, 01 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

There is currently a thread running where Slackware has been recommended as a good version
for learning the hard way.  May I enquire as to whether the following might be apt to say... that
RedHat and Caldera (being easy-to-set-up variants) would be more for admins who need Linux
capability - but they have come from the Novell NetWare world?

Or am I speaking out of turn?

Alex.

29 Egremont Road, Exmouth, Devon EX8 1RX, UK                    Phone   : +44 (0)1395 279970

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> There is currently a thread running where Slackware has been recommended
> as a good version
> for learning the hard way.  May I enquire as to whether the following
> might be apt to say... that
> RedHat and Caldera (being easy-to-set-up variants) would be more for
> admins who need Linux
> capability - but they have come from the Novell NetWare world?

I would say yes.  Slackware, caldera, redhat, and any other linux gives you
the option of going at it *, but redhat and caldera also give you
the option of using their gui config tools.  For a newbie, they can be a
godsend - just be careful about becoming too dependant on them, as you
probably won't have them when things start to really go wrong.

paramount.res.wpi.edu RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre7 i486       | at public servers
Woody: What can I do for you, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:  Elope with my wife.
                -- Cheers, The Triangle