Partition Sizes

Post by Shawn D. Kell » Thu, 17 May 2001 13:20:05

I have an ABit VP6 with dual PIII 800EB's, 512MB RAM, (2) 30GB IBM DeskStar
ATA /100 7200RPM hard drives (currently in RAID 0 for W2K, but will have to
change that since the HPT370 RAID is not supported).  I am prepared to use
Mandrake 8.0 download.

Ideas being taken on partition sizes... both for main Linux partition and
Swap partition.  I don't want to make them something utterly ridiculous that
will just waste my space, but I want to leave room for growth.  Just for
reference, my W2K partition is now 11 gigs of 15 full - and that DOES NOT
include any multimedia - it's all applications.

What does everyone use??? (only a few need respond... we don't need a huge
thread out of this :)

Thanks again.

1. Mount size wrong with Partition size.

I am new at Solaris, and I think I am doing something completley wrong.
Anyway, I am trying to install Oracle 8, and I need to mount the /U01
/U02 /U03 and /U04 volumes.  There currently is an empty extra drive
/c0t8d0 that is 9GB.  I went under the format utility and set unassigned
partitions at 2GB each.  when I go to mount them, they only are 124MB
each.  I tried changing the partition size to even 50MB, but still when
I mounted it only came to 124MB.

I have no clue whats going on. I mount them as a ufs file system.  I
just started working with Solaris 2 months ago and I am fairly new to
the Unix environment.  I am either mounting the partitions wrong, or
missing a step somewhere.  The command line I use to mount is:
mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t8d0s4 /u01

Thanks in advance.
-kris

2. pdksh.

3. Maximum partition size/SCSI drive size

4. Solaris 8 Intel Installation - stuck at initial network setup

5. Largest file size and partition size limits on Solaris 2.X?

6. FSCO 5, partition hockey?

7. Partition size - ext2 filesystem size.

9. linux partition sizes/partitioning scheme?

10. fdisk and cfdisk giving incorrect partition size information

11. Partition Sizes...

12. swap partition size

13. optimal partition size