pci_init: no BIOS32 detected

Post by Mark Anders » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a bit of trouble getting Red Hat 5.0 to load on this NCR 3300
486 66DX w/ 8M RAM, 200M HD.  I think it also has a SCSI port that
resides on the motherboard -- it definitely has a SCSI connector.  I
picked up this box used and have absolutely no documentation on it.
Windows 3.1 for Workgroups runs flawlessly but I bought this thing to
learn Linux so here I am.

Anyway, I created a 75M DOS partition and loaded up the BASE stuff under
the REDHAT directory and picked and chose a bunch of apps to put in the
RPMS directory.  Next I booted from the supplied Linux boot floppy which
brought up the boot screen.  Here I played around a lot including using
the command:

linux mem=nopentium expert

To which I get the following:

Uncompressing Linux...done
Now booting the kernal
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: VGA+ 256 colours, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pci_init: no BIOS32 detected

And the the PC freezes requiring a power cycle (NCR never provided a HW
reset on their PCs).

Does anyone have an idea as to the problem here?  I can't get any farther
since trying to load from a backpack CD-ROM resulted in the same error.
After reading the manual and only getting this far, I feel like I'm stuck
in the first battle of a long (and hopefully educational) adventure.

1. ncr53c94? "pci_init: no BIOS32 detected"???

hello geeks,

i have now a at&t 3325 computer. it's a 486dx4 only scsi system. it's
the same as a ncr3325 computer. everything in this computer is made by
ncr. also the scsi controller. it's a ncr 53c94.
if i want to install linux (suse 5.3), i get the errormassage "pci_init:
no BIOS32 detected" and the installation breaks down. i tested
everything with boot parameters and other kernels. nothing works. so, if
you have a clou, send it to me.

thanks a lot...

2. sh script tutorial

3. pci_init: no BIOS32 error

4. routed kills default route from pppd

5. Linux boot fails w "pci_init: no BIOS32" on NCR 3350 w 53c94 scsi

6. Netscape 3.0

7. Please help: I get "pci_init: no BIOS32" msg on diskette boot

8. Ultra-20 boat anchor (was: Help! OBP update)

9. no BIOS32 detected !!

10. RH 5.1 no BIOS32 detected

11. "pci_init" with no PCI...

12. PCI_INIT error

13. Setup freezes after pci_init, please help!