how to pause a program?

Post by Cuneyt Ser » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
window?
Redhat 6.2 - Gnome

thanks,
cs

how to pause a program?

Post by Danijel Taso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Heya,

> how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
> window?

ctrl-z

bye,
Da.Ta.

--

So you're back... about time...

how to pause a program?

Post by Robert Helle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  In a message on Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:45:17 -0500, wrote :

"S> how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
"S> window?
"S> Redhat 6.2 - Gnome

Ctrl-S/Ctrl-Q ???

program | less
program | more

"S>
"S> thanks,
"S> cs
"S>
"S>
"S>

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

how to pause a program?

Post by Andreas Kaha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
>window?
>Redhat 6.2 - Gnome

>thanks,
>cs

Pressing Ctrl-Z usually suspends the current program running in the
foreground. The command 'fg' will then resume the program in the
foreground while 'bg' will resume it in the background.

C++ has nothing to do with it. It's a job control thing in the shell.
Look for "JOB CONTROL" in the manual for 'bash' (if that's what you're
running as your shell).

/A

--
# Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

how to pause a program?

Post by Garry Knigh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
>window?

Ctrl+S to pause, Ctrl+Q to restart.

--
Garry Knight

how to pause a program?

Post by spi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
>>window?
> Ctrl+S to pause, Ctrl+Q to restart.

That only locks the terminal window itself, not the program running on it.
(If the program is currently doing something that does not involve output to
the screen for example).

To force a program to pause no matter what it's doing, use CTRL Z.
To restart it, type fg.
(Or bg if you want to force it into the background)

|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

how to pause a program?

Post by Garry Knigh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>>how can i pause and than continue a c++ program that's running on a terminal
>>>window?

>> Ctrl+S to pause, Ctrl+Q to restart.

>That only locks the terminal window itself, not the program running on it.

I realised this on re-reading the original post. For some reason I assumed he
meant paused the output. Apologies for any confusion.

--
Garry Knight

1. Pausing program

In a shell like bash, you can suspend a process with ctrl-Z, then restore it by
typing fg.  The same is true if you use kill with the SIGSTOP signal on the pid.
In my C program, I can successfully use kill to suspend the program, but how can
I restore it?

2. matrox GD200

3. Why would a program pause?

4. Compile module-2.0.0 w/ kernel-2.0.2

5. Q: pausing & resuming a program

6. Change harddisk to another box

7. *Long* pause when launching some programs under X

8. mount problem

9. OSS Sound Programming - pause and stop playing immediatelly

10. Curious pause during 'setup' program.

11. "Mary had a neat program...neat program...neat program...

12. Very starnge packet-send pauses..

13. atapcio pauses looking for hard drive