Backup - Help please!

Post by Gaby Vitu » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a network of 17 workstations. 16 have AIX and one has Linux. The
Linux machine doesn't have any backup media connected but some of the
AIX machines do have 8mm tapes.
I am new with Linux and I need some help in the following:

1) Remotely save the Linux machine on tape.
2) Create a bootable stiffy.
3) Install remotely the Linux-saved tape.

Thanx

Gaby V

--
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.
                -- Steve Wright

Post by Elma » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I have a network of 17 workstations. 16 have AIX and one has Linux. The
: Linux machine doesn't have any backup media connected but some of the
: AIX machines do have 8mm tapes.
: I am new with Linux and I need some help in the following:

: 1) Remotely save the Linux machine on tape.
: 2) Create a bootable stiffy.
: 3) Install remotely the Linux-saved tape.

: Thanx

: Gaby V
Hallo Gaby,
to save your Linux machine remotely you can use tar. The device must be

your aix-box with the tape.
You need a boot-disk wich has networking and the right network-card enabled.

I haven't try this yet. But I think it is ok.

Bis dann
Elmar

: --
: A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.
:                 -- Steve Wright

1. Cron script needed to make backups - help please

Hello,
        I have just made my first complete backup of my Linux system.  I would
now like to set it up so that the system automatically backs up certain things
at timed intervals.  I am using Linux v. 1.1.94 on a Dell Pentium with an
Iomega 250 QIC-80 tape drive.  The machine functions mainly as a web server.
These web files are constantly being updated daily.  The web files reside
in /home/www  Therefore, I would like to create a cron job that backs up
just these files everynight at midnoght.  I also would like to backup the users
home directories once a week.  How would I set up my cron script to handle
this?  Also, how often do I have to change the tape.  Also, at each backup,
will the tape rewind and start at the beginning or will it just append this
night's backup to the previous one?  Sorry to appear so clueless.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanx in advance.

   _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _
  / _ _/ /_  _/ /   \  Carl J. DiGiorgio         "The reward for work well

2. how to allow ftp connection through Squid

3. Dial backup help please

4. dsl sharing with redhat 9.0

5. Tape Backup Help Please

6. routing?

7. Backup Help Please

8. Can grep be made using "and" instead of "or"

9. Uses DATA BACKUP HELP Please !

10. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

12. NFS please help me please please please sniff

13. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????