Installing xfce: the saga continues (or I'm too stupid for Linux)

Installing xfce: the saga continues (or I'm too stupid for Linux)

Post by Cynthi » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:40:33

<vent>
Installing anything in Linux is ***so hard*** !!!  There's not a
chance in hell that Linux will ever compete with Windows.  Installing
xfce has been eating up all my free time for the past week or so, and
I've gotten nowhere.  Hours and hours and hours, and that's just one
program...  At this rate it will be weeks before I have a working
system...  Now I can see why far smarter people than me avoid Linux
like the plague.  Even with my less-than-stellar hourly wage, the time
wasted getting Linux to work far outweighs the alleged monetary
savings of free software.  Very demoralizing.
</vent>

In the xfce build directory, when I run

    # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --datadir=\/usr/local/share --sysconfdir=/etc/X11

as suggested by the installation instructions, it ends with the error:

  checking for glib-config... no
  checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.6... no
  *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
  *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
  *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
  *** full path to glib-config.
  configure: error: Cannot find GLIB: Is glib-config in path?

Indeed, I have no glib-config anywhere (though I do have glib-1.2.7
installed).

So I tried to reinstall glib-1.2.7, but I get a huge mess of errors.
First, ./configure for glib-1.2.7 gives:

  *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
  *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
  *** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
  *** as such.  This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
  *** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
  *** libraries will work regardless of this problem.  Nevertheless, you
  *** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to

OK, so I don't have libtool, so now I try to install libtool.  I find
libtool, download it, but when I try to install it (using dpkg) I get
exactly the same error as above:

  *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
  *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
  *** <etc>

This makes no sense!  I'm *installing* libtool.  How can libtool be
used to install libtool?  Is dpkg *that* stupid?

What is one supposed to do???

Post by Wes newel » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 04:36:05

> <vent>
> Installing anything in Linux is ***so hard*** !!!  There's not a
> chance in hell that Linux will ever compete with Windows.  Installing
> xfce has been eating up all my free time for the past week or so, and
> I've gotten nowhere.  Hours and hours and hours, and that's just one
> program...  At this rate it will be weeks before I have a working
> system...  Now I can see why far smarter people than me avoid Linux
> like the plague.  Even with my less-than-stellar hourly wage, the time
> wasted getting Linux to work far outweighs the alleged monetary
> savings of free software.  Very demoralizing.
> </vent>

Having never even seen Linux, nor worked with unix, I had Linux mandrake
8.0 installed in less than 1 hour after I burnt the CD's. No manuals, no
nothing except the 2 CD's. The second time on another machine took about
30 minutes, as did the third time and so forth. This was less than 3
months ago. I also setup Samba, Apache, and ProFTP without many major
problems, though it did required a lot of reading and searching for
Samba. They all came up in a running state after the initial install.
Having installed DOS/Win9X/WME/NT/OS/2 on many machines, I can truly
state that installing Linux was much easier than any of the others. Of
course this only pertains to the distro I used. Which was recommended
for a first time Linux user by several people in a chat room.

> In the xfce build directory, when I run

>     # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --datadir=\/usr/local/share --sysconfdir=/etc/X11

> as suggested by the installation instructions, it ends with the error:

>   checking for glib-config... no
>   checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.6... no
>   *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
>   *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
>   *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
>   *** full path to glib-config.
>   configure: error: Cannot find GLIB: Is glib-config in path?

> Indeed, I have no glib-config anywhere (though I do have glib-1.2.7
> installed).

> So I tried to reinstall glib-1.2.7, but I get a huge mess of errors.
> First, ./configure for glib-1.2.7 gives:

>   *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
>   *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
>   *** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
>   *** as such.  This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
>   *** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
>   *** libraries will work regardless of this problem.  Nevertheless, you
>   *** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to

> OK, so I don't have libtool, so now I try to install libtool.  I find
> libtool, download it, but when I try to install it (using dpkg) I get
> exactly the same error as above:

>   *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
>   *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
>   *** <etc>

> This makes no sense!  I'm *installing* libtool.  How can libtool be
> used to install libtool?  Is dpkg *that* stupid?

> What is one supposed to do???

None of this makes any sence to me either. Nor do I have time to learn
all the Linux commands. You might want to try Mandrake.:-)

Post by Daren Russel » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 17:03:03

> <vent>
> Installing anything in Linux is ***so hard*** !!!  There's not a chance
> in hell that Linux will ever compete with Windows.  Installing xfce has
> been eating up all my free time for the past week or so, and I've gotten
> nowhere.  Hours and hours and hours, and that's just one program...  At
> this rate it will be weeks before I have a working system...  Now I can
> see why far smarter people than me avoid Linux like the plague.  Even
> with my less-than-stellar hourly wage, the time wasted getting Linux to
> work far outweighs the alleged monetary savings of free software.  Very
> demoralizing. </vent>

> In the xfce build directory, when I run

>     # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --datadir=\/usr/local/share
>     --sysconfdir=/etc/X11

> as suggested by the installation instructions, it ends with the error:

>   checking for glib-config... no
>   checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.6... no *** The glib-config script
>   installed by GLIB could not be found *** If GLIB was installed in
>   PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in *** your path, or set the
>   GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the *** full path to glib-config.
>   configure: error: Cannot find GLIB: Is glib-config in path?

> Indeed, I have no glib-config anywhere (though I do have glib-1.2.7
> installed).

> So I tried to reinstall glib-1.2.7, but I get a huge mess of errors.
> First, ./configure for glib-1.2.7 gives:

>   *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries, ***
>   /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize. *** The
>   result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries *** as
>   such.  This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that ***
>   depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool ***
>   libraries will work regardless of this problem.  Nevertheless, you ***
>   may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to ***

> OK, so I don't have libtool, so now I try to install libtool.  I find
> libtool, download it, but when I try to install it (using dpkg) I get
> exactly the same error as above:

>   *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries, ***
>   /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize. ***
>   <etc>

> This makes no sense!  I'm *installing* libtool.  How can libtool be used
> to install libtool?  Is dpkg *that* stupid?

> What is one supposed to do???

I have never used Debian before so I cannot say exactly how the packages
are named, but you need to install the development files of glib.  This
will contain the glib-config file which is used to determine versions
(amongst other things) for the main library package.  It also contains
the development files for glib which xfce requires.  This will also apply
to any other checks xfce makes.  If you check the README/INSTALL file it
will probably list the requirements so you can check you have the devel
files for any other libs it needs.

These are usually packaged separately (at least in SuSE etc.) as they are
not strictly required unless you are building things from scratch.

You should almost certainly have libtool installed (try a 'which
libtool')

I don't really understand half the output of these things, but after a
couple of bad experiences installing stuff from scratch, you get to know
exactly what to check for before pulling hair out  :)

HTH

Daren

Installing xfce: the saga continues (or I'm too stupid for Linux)

Post by hairetik » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:43:50

Quote:

> <vent>
> Installing anything in Linux is ***so hard*** !!!  There's not a

I used to run Debian.  It has the best package/system upgrade of
anything Linux-ish.

Now, I use Suse 7.1 Personal Edition.  I point a browser at
ftp://${mysusemirrorsite}suse/i386/7.1/suse/ (not its real URL) and
rummage around until I find what I need.  Download.  Su -, rpm -i
~keeling/dwn/blah.rpm ...

Sometimes it fails and says it needs something else.  I rummage arond
and find that, then retry installing the other one.  It invariably
works.

I've never upgraded Suse, so I can't speak for that, but simply
installing Suse or installing software on Suse is dead simple.

Sometimes configuring the installed package can be a bear; I'd really
like to run xcdroast as a user instead of root, but I haven't figured
out how.

But installing software is simple.

Quote:> chance in hell that Linux will ever compete with Windows.  Installing

Windows will NEVER have even the slightest, remotest of chances of
competing against Linux on my machines.  I don't want what they sell.
It would be *even if it was Scottish!

Quote:> wasted getting Linux to work far outweighs the alleged monetary
> savings of free software.  Very demoralizing.
> </vent>

Been there.  Often.  It's painful, and annoying, but good for the
"soul".  It's better to learn from others' mistakes, but sometimes ya
gotta do it your self.  Good things can come of frustration, including
insights and leaps of inspiration and really nice, "Hey, that's
wrong!", throw out that assumption - kind of thing.

Quote:> This makes no sense!  I'm *installing* libtool.  How can libtool be
> used to install libtool?  Is dpkg *that* stupid?

> What is one supposed to do???

This is what I finally wondered re: Debian & upgrades and my laptop
and pcmcia & kernel upgrades.  I heard so many, "Just don't use that
tool; it dosn't work on your system.  Just rebuild that package in
/tmp from source ...

I don't consider kernel and loadable module rebuilds to be a
non-trivial event.  It's always traumatic for me.

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.

1. RH6.0 installs, but won't boot - saga continues

In our last episode:

I've got an older Pentium box with:
- GA-586AT motherboard (anyone know where to get manuals?)
- 32MB of RAM
- Trident 8900 VGA card
- 850MB Quantum drive (1647 cyl, 16 heads, 63 sectors)
- 3Com 3C509 Ethernet card

The BIOS offers four ways to see the disk: Normal, Large, LBA, and Auto. The
first two look the same, and the last two both report 823 cyl, 32 heads, 63
sectors.

Installing RH6.0 (several times) worked in each case, but the machine would
not boot. It would produce:

LILO boot:

at this point, it hangs and I have to press Reset or Power Off.

This week's episodes:

Blow away RH6.0, and install SuSE 6.1. No joy. It does the same thing as
RH6.0.

Recall that this machine was running Win98 when I bought it. Install a 425MB
drive, jumpered as Master. Set the 850MB drive as Slave. This way, says our
hero, there won't be any fuss with drive geometry.

Re-install SuSE 6.1 on the new drive. Same results. Re-install but select
the older kernel. Same results.

In frustration, install FreeBSD 3.1. Trickier (for never having done it
before), but it works! It boots up! It shows a login prompt!

So, it would seem that Linux is not compatible with my machine for some
reason. What do I look at next? Any suggestions received with (pathetic)
gratitude.

2. Connecting Apple Laserwriter II to LPRng

3. Linux Password Saga Continues

4. Linux's Only Weakness

5. Is XFce GNOME aware ? (was:People installing XFCE...)

6. what UNICES support full NETWORKING on a LAPTOP ?

7. Linux snubbed again, the saga continues.

8. HP termial workstation systems FS

9. Bash's `continue' isn't continuing

10. squake seg11 fault under Linux... the saga continues.

11. The Networking Saga Continues...

12. The PPP Saga Continues

13. PS/2 mouse: Day 2, the Saga continues ... please help!