ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Jens Krauss (Steinfa » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 21:35:45

Hy,

I know, its a faq!

I have read about problems with AMD DX2-66 cpu's and ghostscript.
Now I have bought an board with AMD DX-66 and my ghostscript won't
work anymore. Has there benn a workaround for this problem???

Thanks in advance

Jens Krauss

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Dan P » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 23:07:35

Quote:>I have read about problems with AMD DX2-66 cpu's and ghostscript.
>Now I have bought an board with AMD DX-66 and my ghostscript won't
>work anymore. Has there benn a workaround for this problem???

Yes, the workaround is to replace the cpu with a buggy FPU with a good
one.  How can tell a broken AMD from a good one?  I dunno :-)

Now you understand why some PC's have an "Intel Inside" label and other
don't.  Those without the label are for gamblers :-)

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, CN Division

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Nick Hutto » Tue, 08 Nov 1994 18:31:22

> >I have read about problems with AMD DX2-66 cpu's and ghostscript.
> >Now I have bought an board with AMD DX-66 and my ghostscript won't
> >work anymore. Has there benn a workaround for this problem???

I am currently running with an AMD DX2/66 (purchased less than 2 months
ago) and have not experienced any problems with ghostscript. However I
did have problems when attempting kernel recompilation.

After the initial installation of the OS I then ran the config script and
opted out of all the drivers I didn't need, aswell as enabling sound support.
Once the config script had been run I issued an 'make zImage'

About 3/4 of the way into the recompilation, gcc would exit on an internal
error (signal 11). At first I suspected a lack of memory, eventually I
found that disabling the external (256Kb) cache (AMI BIOS) 'solved' the
problem. I now have a leaner kernel.

I have never had any trouble before or since when compiling ANY programs
other than the kernel, with the cache enabled. I have never had any
problems running programs/kernel with cache enabled.

I didn't dig too deep into exactly which part of the kernel gcc was
falling over, I think it was concerned with low level timing routines.

Anyone else had this problem on an AMD?

Nick

System Operator of glock,                 +44 (483) 418467 300-14400 HST/v32bis

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Stephen J. Sulatyc » Tue, 08 Nov 1994 15:17:05

: Is it a fact that the AMD DX2-66 and ghostscript are incompatible?
: I have an AMD and cannot get ghostscript working properly either.
: I assumed it was because I hadn't used ghostscript before and
: did something wrong.  So could someone let me know if it's my
: cpu or the user?!

: Is there a faq for ghostscript?  I don't believe I've ever seen
: one before.

: Thanks for any info!

: --
: Tim Kobett

Hmm.... This is interesting. I have an AMD DX2/66 and have had NO
problems with Ghostscript.... at least, as far as I can tell.
Bad FPU... this is the only place I've heard of that!  As far
as the comment about 'Intel Inside' - if you buy into Intel's
billion dollar campaign to promote their processors because their
loosing market share.... then, well, I have no reaction to that,
except to say that perhaps you are a little gulible...

-Steve

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Paulus Adisoemar » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 14:58:59

Quote:>Is it a fact that the AMD DX2-66 and ghostscript are incompatible?

I use AMD DX2-66 (Batch code 9434, 34th week of '94) with ghostscript
for my printer filter with no problem at all.
I heard that the february batch was buggy, so make sure you got
a very recent one.

Paulus

--
Paulus Suryono Adisoemarta, N5SNN / YG1QN

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Christoph Stroz » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 21:47:48

Quote:>   I know, its a faq!

I manage the gs faq and this is not in there and will not be.

Quote:>   I have read about problems with AMD DX2-66 cpu's and ghostscript.
>   Now I have bought an board with AMD DX-66 and my ghostscript won't
>   work anymore. Has there benn a workaround for this problem???

Yes, a simple one, there is no problem.

I myself debug/work with/on Ghostscript also on a Linux system
with AMD DX2-66 CPU. There are no problems at all. Please don't
post such things, resulting in new rumors, without doublechecking
the reality.

Regards, chris

Ghostscript support for Europe.

--

Sprockhoeveler Str. 55 | Consulting and Software Development
58455 Witten, Germany  | +49-2302-28133-0 voice, +49-2302-28133-6 fax

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Timothy A. Kobe » Mon, 07 Nov 1994 06:12:14

Is it a fact that the AMD DX2-66 and ghostscript are incompatible?
I have an AMD and cannot get ghostscript working properly either.
I assumed it was because I hadn't used ghostscript before and
did something wrong.  So could someone let me know if it's my
cpu or the user?!

Is there a faq for ghostscript?  I don't believe I've ever seen
one before.

Thanks for any info!

--
Tim Kobett

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Jon Cardwe » Fri, 11 Nov 1994 04:14:48

[snip]
>Anyone else had this problem on an AMD?

Yup. I have this exact problem with my AMD 486DX2/66 PC also.
I use gcc 2.5.8, and it occasionally dies just like that.
When I compile the *exact* same code on a 386DX/25 pc
running the same kernel, libc, gcc, etc, it never dies. I suspect
a problem with the AMD 486' clone. I'll try disabling the external
cache to 'solve' the problem and see if that changes anything.
It's hard to make this problem happen on a regular basis though...

Quote:

>Nick

--Jon Cardwell

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Richard Sto » Fri, 11 Nov 1994 23:58:28

: Yes, a simple one, there is no problem.

There *was* a problem with early rev. AMD DX2-66 chips.  I myself have two
later revs that work fine with Ghostscript and X and Windoze and whatnot.

: I myself debug/work with/on Ghostscript also on a Linux system
: with AMD DX2-66 CPU. There are no problems at all. Please don't
: post such things, resulting in new rumors, without doublechecking
: the reality.

I can understand your wishing to nip rumors in the bud, but in this case,
the rumors aren't.  You and I were fortunate enough to get newer rev. chips,
but there are still some of the older rev chips out there.  The few cases
I've seen reported could be resolved by replacing the older rev CPU with a
newer one, and often the retailer would replace it free as defective
merchandise - at least in the US.

--
Richard S. Stone                                             Network Engineer
The Engineering Design Group

/* disclaimer.h */
printf("The opinions expressed above are my own, and do not necessarily
represent those of the Engineering Design Group or its affiliates.\n")

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Marcus Bainbrid » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 03:20:40

> Hmm.... This is interesting. I have an AMD DX2/66 and have had NO
> problems with Ghostscript.... at least, as far as I can tell.
> Bad FPU... this is the only place I've heard of that!

To even this up, we have an Intel DX2-66 PC at work that had problems
running one program (TopSpice), and always it bombed out with a Floating
Point Error.  All FPU testing programs I could find reported that everything
was normal and no other FPU-dependent programs had any problems.  It turned
out that the *motherboard* was faulty, despite the fact that a normal DX-33
worked quite happily in the same socket.  As you Americans like to say,
go figure!

--

ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

Post by Neil Matth » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 19:52:37

: >   I know, its a faq!

: I manage the gs faq and this is not in there and will not be.

: >   I have read about problems with AMD DX2-66 cpu's and ghostscript.
: >   Now I have bought an board with AMD DX-66 and my ghostscript won't
: >   work anymore. Has there benn a workaround for this problem???

: Yes, a simple one, there is no problem.

: I myself debug/work with/on Ghostscript also on a Linux system
: with AMD DX2-66 CPU. There are no problems at all. Please don't
: post such things, resulting in new rumors, without doublechecking
: the reality.

I know for a fact that some early AMD DX-40s had an FPU bug that manifested
itself in Ghostscript. It was fixed by swapping out the CPU for one with a
Microsoft Windows-compatible logo on it (urgh!). AMD has clearly made changes
to the FPU and it is entirely possible that some DX2-66s have been affected.
Just because you haven't seen it does not make the previous poster a rumour-
monger, it is insulting for you to imply that he _cannot_ have a problem.

Regards
Neil

| Neil Matthew                           Non sequitur                    |

1. AMD vs INTEL DX2-66 for Linux

Hi.
  I just 'phoned to order a new motherboard and processor for my dead PC
and the salesman reported some problems with AMD processors under Linux.

Since the price difference between Intel and AMD is marginal, but I would
prefer AMD (superior overclocking ability???), what do others think?

Anyone out there using a TMC VLB (PAT-48AV), 256K cache with AMD DX2-66
and 8MB RAM?

Also, is the 70 or 80nS RAM going to cut it with the DX2 or will I need
to introduce memory waitstates?

PS. Where's the faq??

Iain.

2. Video Support

3. Intel dx2/66 or AMD dx4/100?

4. printing utility I saw

5. Linux on the SGS-Thompson DX2-66 Chip

6. Signal handler

7. SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

8. Binary File Builder

9. I just made my DX2/66 a DX2/75!?!?!

10. What would be faster Dx-50 or DX2-66?

11. dx2-66 heat dissip., linux, and overclocking

12. Best EISA/VESA (DX2-66) system? (Need suggestions)

13. X running butt-slow on a dx2-66 - Wishful thinking?