who's reading my files?

Post by Oliver Mitesse » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Is there any possibility to find out, which users try to access my files
(in a linux network)? perhaps running a script or C-program in the
background...

Thanks, Oliver

who's reading my files?

Post by Basti » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Is there any possibility to find out, which users try to access my files
>(in a linux network)? perhaps running a script or C-program in the
>background...

>Thanks, Oliver

Perhaps the program lsof might help you. If you have the name of the
files to be monitored, do a
   lsof |grep -e 'filename'
all three seconds or so and write it to a logfile.

Bastian

who's reading my files?

Post by Mevaco » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

tail /var/log/secure

tail /var/log/xferlog

etc..

Kai

> >Is there any possibility to find out, which users try to access my files
> >(in a linux network)? perhaps running a script or C-program in the
> >background...

> >Thanks, Oliver

> Perhaps the program lsof might help you. If you have the name of the
> files to be monitored, do a
>    lsof |grep -e 'filename'
> all three seconds or so and write it to a logfile.

> Bastian

1. script reading 'tail -f file' output

I would like to be able to process the output from a log
file.  Right now I'm using a bourne shell script with the
following line:

tail -f filename | grep string | ( while read INFO
  do
     several operations on the string
  done )

Well, the output disappears.  Can anyone explain why or
suggest a better way??

Thanks in advance.
--
Colin McFadyen -- Carleton U. Computing and Communications Services
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA K1S 5B6

2. Microsoft Hires Former IBM Patent Lawyer, techWEB.com

3. 'csh -f file' reads .cshrc on startup--feature or bug?

4. Basic C++ & LINUX Related question . Pls HELP !!!!

5. su doesn't read user's shell init files?

6. Xwindow or Openwindow ?

7. Any C 'ini' file writing/reading source for Linux ?

8. serious comments etc

9. Solaris 'Mailer' program cannot read UNIX Mail Files???

10. 'Cannot read proc file system'...

11. Count files using 'read'

12. Q:sh:Setting env by reading other files - like csh 'source'

13. Problem with 'Read only file system'