Printing a pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript printer

Printing a pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript printer

Post by Douglas Ritsche » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:19:16

How can I print pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript
printer?

I've tried a2ps, which prints ascii files, duplex, 4 pages per page, but
only prints pdf files simplex 4 pages per page.

Post by zeljk » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 02:16:05

> How can I print pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript
> printer?

> I've tried a2ps, which prints ascii files, duplex, 4 pages per page, but
> only prints pdf files simplex 4 pages per page.

try enscript

Post by Grant Edwar » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:22:05

> How can I print pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript
> printer?

You can print to a postscript file, then use the programs in
the pstools package to do all sorts of stuff:

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/psutils/

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! Are you the
                                  at               self-frying president?

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 05:47:21

 : How can I print pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript
 : printer?

1. Use acrobat reader (better, but too interactive) or ghostscript,
  or pdftops (from xpdf)
  to convert PDF file into Postscript
2. Use psutils to make it 4-up
3. Use psset to make it duplex

4. Use shell to combine these steps into one simple command.

Hmm... I was quite surprised finding out, that acroread has batch mode
to convert files to postscript. And it even doesn't need DISPLAY,
so it is actually possible to hide acroread inside print filters.

--
In general, they do what you want, unless you want consistency.
             -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

1. PDF, HP, PCL and multiple pages per output page...

Greets to all in linux land,

I have the following problem:

I have a bunch of multiple page pdfs I want to print but they have been

set so as not to allow them to be converted to .ps files so I can't dump

them to a ps printer.

I have ghostscript 5.10 which works fine with my epson stylus colour 400

but I want to print the files on a better HP printer somewhere else

(have to transport the files by disk). The HP printer is a lasetjet6MP

which is a ps printer, but as i said they can't be made into ps.

Since the HP is also a 6PCL printer I am trying to use ghostscript with the

ljet4 driver to convert them to the printers native format.

So far so good.

Problem is I want to have four pages printed per page of output.

I have been hunting to find how to do this and have found references for

RedHat (I have slackware 3.2 + bodge) but I really want to dump the output

to files, not to the printer queue (though I can probably get them from there

if understand how things work properly)

Any info on how to do this from the command line would be greatly appreciated.

To sum it up: how do I convert multiple page PDFs into 4 pages per page native

HP PCL6 files to dump to an HP PCL6 printer.

Thanks for any help,

                    Nick

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
                                                        -- George Carlin

2. Praise for fvwm95, the Windows 95 WM for Linux

3. printer printing some blank pages during postscript printing ?

4. Increasing the 8 character max passwd length

5. Printing 2 postscript pages to 1 physical page ...

6. mount vfat 2048 Byte/sector media?

7. Printing: multiple logical pages per physical page

8. CMI8330 drivers for Linux 7

9. printing 2 pages per sheet, postscript

10. How to print multiple pages of PostScript per sheet of paper

11. Automated accounting of pages printed to PostScript printers

12. Help! Printing man page to PostScript printer

13. How to print "cat" man pages to postscript printer ?