Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Post by Jeffrey Wiegl » Thu, 06 Jan 1994 14:06:49

Well, it's that time in my life again when I'm going to find it necessary
to entirely reinstall Linux again.  This is because I'm getting a new Linux
box and since I last install Linux enough stuff has changed so that I think
it is worth it to reinstall everything and then simply copy my small set of
changed files over to the new machine.  Anyways...

I use to use SLS 1.03 but from the recent posts it seems that Slackware is
the way to go now since they have worked out the bugs it had when it first
came together.  Which is the most complete and comprehensive package of
Linux and associated software including X-Windows? and what version #
should I be looking for.   I will definitely need XFree386 2.0 since I'll
be running with a S3-928 based card.

thanks AGAIN for your time,

- Jeff Wiegley

Post by Chris N3F » Thu, 06 Jan 1994 14:32:13

>Well, it's that time in my life again when I'm going to find it necessary
>to entirely reinstall Linux again.  This is because I'm getting a new Linux
>box and since I last install Linux enough stuff has changed so that I think
>it is worth it to reinstall everything and then simply copy my small set of
>changed files over to the new machine.  Anyways...

>I use to use SLS 1.03 but from the recent posts it seems that Slackware is
>the way to go now since they have worked out the bugs it had when it first
>came together.  Which is the most complete and comprehensive package of
>Linux and associated software including X-Windows? and what version #
>should I be looking for.   I will definitely need XFree386 2.0 since I'll
>be running with a S3-928 based card.

>thanks AGAIN for your time,

>- Jeff Wiegley

I ve tried them all...I d say get Slackware...definitely not SLS
The people at SLS deserve a lot of credit for putting all that stuff
together, however Slackware refines them...so its like a joint
venture... :)

The forthcoming Dubian release has been said that it will even further
improve the existing releases..not out yet...we'll see.
I hope for the best.

And, of course, its always more fun to get the basic system and add/build
the rest of it yourself. This way you know exactly what you have... :)

                    -Chris

--------------

--

---------------

Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Post by John Wi » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 02:28:00

C >The forthcoming Dubian release has been said that it will even further
C >improve the existing releases..not out yet...we'll see.

I've been hearing about the Dubian version for months, this is the
worst case of Linux "vaporware" that I know of. :-)

]
] I've been hearing about the Dubian version for months, this is the
] worst case of Linux "vaporware" that I know of. :-)

        NO !!!  Debian has been available for ALPHA and BETA testing by
interested persons for months.  I'm sure that it will be the best linux
distribution when it is released to the public.

--
Remy Card

"Maybe we're lying, then you'd better not stay
 But we could be safer just for one day"

Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Post by Clayton Haapa » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 07:16:24

I just did a TAMU install (sans X) and it went quite well for me.  If you
are at all used to System V administration, you will like it.  There are
some things I had to add right away:

cron, at, UUCP

but it was an easy base to which to add.
--
Clay Haapala                    "Well, there was the process of sitting around

                                        -- Dilbert

Post by Bill Hog » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 18:25:59

: I just did a TAMU install (sans X) and it went quite well for me.  If you
: are at all used to System V administration, you will like it.  There are
: some things I had to add right away:

: cron, at, UUCP

: but it was an easy base to which to add.
: --

Clay,

 What attracted my attention to TAMU were statements to the effect that I
might be able to essentially bootstrap Linux instead of doing a straight
binary install.

 If I was able to compile Linux in its entirety on my machine, I know I
would feel quite a bit more confident that I had installed it correctly
than I would I had only "read in" the binaries from disk.

 Does this idea fit in with what you have experienced with TAMU?

 Has it made any practical difference in system stability?

 Any comments you might want to make to a Linux first-timer?

 Thanks,
 Bill

Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Post by R.N. Boni » Sat, 08 Jan 1994 02:29:04

        Ok, I'm a first-time linux user. I am about to order the system on
CD from someone. I know a little about Unix and I just want to play with
it for my own education. Who out there in net-land can point me in the
right direction as to which version to purchase? I want the best, most
complete, most current version on CD. I just sent some mail to SLS to
find out what their package is. What are the good and bad sides to all
of the versions discussed? Which one should I buy? Pleasse include
information to contact the respective companies if you post.

Post by Clayton Haapa » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 03:30:40

> What attracted my attention to TAMU were statements to the effect that I
>might be able to essentially bootstrap Linux instead of doing a straight
>binary install.

> If I was able to compile Linux in its entirety on my machine, I know I
>would feel quite a bit more confident that I had installed it correctly
>than I would I had only "read in" the binaries from disk.

> Does this idea fit in with what you have experienced with TAMU?

Well, it IS a binary install.  The "integrated source" is also available,
and in a form where one can just type "make" at the top of the tree and
out will come the TAMU binary release. (I haven't tried that.)

Once you have it installed, you are immediately in a position where
you can rebuild the kernel or add any packages you find you need, which
is exactly what I did.  I also laid in the 4.5.8 libraries and gcc2.5.7,
as well.  And brought the kernel up to PL14(released).

Quote:> Has it made any practical difference in system stability?

> Any comments you might want to make to a Linux first-timer?

The system hasn't been up long enough for me to really tell.  From an
admin standpoint, I like where everything is, and there is a nice level
of consistency to it.  I have more SysV background than BSD, so I like
where things are in TAMU.
--

Post by Scott Alft » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 14:53:17

>I use to use SLS 1.03 but from the recent posts it seems that Slackware is
>the way to go now since they have worked out the bugs it had when it first
>came together.

I grabbed both SLS 1.03 and Slackware 1.1.1 a few weeks ago.  Since
the conventional wisdom in this newsgroup was leaning toward
Slackware, I swapped my floppy drives around (since Slackware won't
fit on 5.25" disks) and installed Slackware first.

I have since restored the drives to their original configuration and
now use the Slackware disks for backups. :-) Slackware kept crashing
on me for no reason at all.  The version of emacs that came with it
seemed to be particularly unstable; as I recall, most of the crashes
occurred inside emacs.

SLS 1.03, OTOH, hasn't crashed yet.  Its only disadvantage is that
some of the stuff in it is old (pl12 kernel, old libs and gcc, etc.).
You can fix most of that fairly easily, though; on my system, I'm now
running a pl14 kernel, gcc 2.5.7, and v4.5.8 of the shared libraries.
All of this seems to work well enough on my system, a 386SX-25 with 4
megs of RAM and 8 megs of swap (though I'd like to repartition my HD
for 12-16 megs of swap sometime).  I'm not running X at this time, but
might look into TinyX in the future.

Bottom line: I'd go with SLS, but I'd be prepared to FTP lots of newer
packages to replace some of the old stuff that comes with SLS.

 / v \  Call the Skunk Works BBS today!           audio for your Apple IIe/IIc!
(IIGS(  (702) 894-9619 300-14400 V.32bis 1:209/263 Apple II, IBM, Trek, & more!
 \_^_/  ---===#### Why be politically correct when you can be RIGHT? ####===---

Post by Linux Journ » Sat, 08 Jan 1994 09:07:24

: C >The forthcoming Dubian release has been said that it will even further
: C >improve the existing releases..not out yet...we'll see.

: I've been hearing about the Dubian version for months, this is the
: worst case of Linux "vaporware" that I know of. :-)

First, that's Debian.  And, it isn't vaporware.  A very strange thing
for the software industry is happening with Debian -- it is being tested
before it is being shipped. :-)

There have been quite a few beta releases, lots of testers and a very
active mailing list.  The first public release of Debian should happen
very soon -- as in the next week or so.  Also, Ian Murdock, "Mr. Debian"
is writing a column for Linux Journal.  The first column should explain
where Debian came from and what it is to do.  Look for the magazine
in February.

  ++ Phil Hughes, Editor, Linux Journal
--
Linux Journal -- The magazine of, for and about the Linux Community
P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867 USA

Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Post by Bill Hog » Mon, 10 Jan 1994 05:27:57

  [...]

: Well, [TAMU] IS a binary install.  The "integrated source" is also
: available, and in a form where one can just type "make" at the top of
: the tree and : out will come the TAMU binary release. (I haven't tried
: that.)

: Once you have it installed, you are immediately in a position where
: you can rebuild the kernel or add any packages you find you need, which
: is exactly what I did.  I also laid in the 4.5.8 libraries and gcc2.5.7,
: as well.  And brought the kernel up to PL14(released).

: The system hasn't been up long enough for me to really tell.  From an
                                                                ~~~~~~~
: admin standpoint, I like where everything is, and there is a nice level
: of consistency to it.  I have more SysV background than BSD, so I like
: where things are in TAMU.
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Thank you.

Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?

Post by Steven M. Gal » Mon, 10 Jan 1994 05:56:29

Quote:

>SLS 1.03, OTOH, hasn't crashed yet.  Its only disadvantage is that
>some of the stuff in it is old (pl12 kernel, old libs and gcc, etc.).
>You can fix most of that fairly easily, though; on my system, I'm now
>running a pl14 kernel, gcc 2.5.7, and v4.5.8 of the shared libraries.
>All of this seems to work well enough on my system, a 386SX-25 with 4
>megs of RAM and 8 megs of swap (though I'd like to repartition my HD
>for 12-16 megs of swap sometime).  I'm not running X at this time, but
>might look into TinyX in the future.

I found that I liked MCC better because it came with only what you need to
get your system running and can install whatever you want (and the newest
versions) at your discresion.  Also, it will fit on 5 disks!

Steve
--
Steven M. Gallo                         "...If you don't expect too much from
SUNY at Buffalo, Dept. of Comp. Sci.     me you might not be let down..."

1. Help on Slackware, SLS, TransAmer, TAMU,...

Hi.
  Write Carlos Contreras Bizama.

 ca > Need to know who be the difference between the diferent version of
 ca > Linux that exist SLS, Slackware, TransAmer, TAMU, MCC, etc. That be due?

 ca > Need to know. If I posses one of the version of Linux before mention
 ca > for example SLS, and  get other version of the kernel, for example
 ca >linux-0.99.pl15.tar.gz for be compile of manner of get a new image compress
 ca > of the kernel for be add to the file of configuration lilo. That implicate
 ca > I bring the previous as for the type of Linux that use, SLS for example ?

        A person no very understand in this Operating System. Thank you :-))

        Any aid to be welcome .....

2. Mandrake setup problems

3. Hippity-Hop: Mail Bounced (was Re: Best Linux package? SLS, Slackware or TAMU?)

4. Sendpage ( Alphanumeric Paging )

5. SLackware or othe non SLS packages.

6. Memory required for 100 terminals?

7. SLS or TAMU - help me decide