Mounting a dos filesystem so that normal users may write to it???

Mounting a dos filesystem so that normal users may write to it???

Post by Steve Werele » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Anybody have any ideas how to mount a DOS filesystem so that ordinary
users may write to it.  I have been looking at the options in the fstab
file, but I can't seem to make it work.  I am using Linux 1.2.13.
--

Steve Wereley
Northwestern University

Post by Dave Bake » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Anybody have any ideas how to mount a DOS filesystem so that ordinary
> users may write to it.  I have been looking at the options in the fstab
> file, but I can't seem to make it work.  I am using Linux 1.2.13.
> --

> Steve Wereley
> Northwestern University
> Dept. of Mechanical Engineering

make sure /msdos is an existing, yet empty directory, and include
the following in /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1    /msdos       msdos     defaults,user,noauto  1 1

adjust to suit your setup :)

dave baker

Post by aeso » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Anybody have any ideas how to mount a DOS filesystem so that ordinary
> users may write to it.  I have been looking at the options in the fstab
> file, but I can't seem to make it work.  I am using Linux 1.2.13.
> --

> Steve Wereley
> Northwestern University
> Dept. of Mechanical Engineering

Add the umask option to your /etc/mtab.  (Make it umask=0 for everyone
to write, but I would recommend creating a group with gid=# and putting
only those users who you want to have access in  the group)

Here's mine:
/dev/hda2 /dos msdos rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=91,umask=007 0 2