How do I know which window manager I am using?

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Benyang Tan » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am confused by fvwm, fvwm2, fvwm95, AnotherLevel. All these seem to be
the same thing but have their own configuration files. How can I  cwhich
one my Linux is using?

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Norm Dresne » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am confused by fvwm, fvwm2, fvwm95, AnotherLevel. All these seem to be
> the same thing but have their own configuration files. How can I  cwhich
> one my Linux is using?

Try
        ps aux | grep wm
which will at least show you if you're using on of fvwm, fvwm2, fvwm95.
It that fails, do the brute force thing and scan thru the full output of
        ps aux

        Norm

Post by Marco Angles » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I am confused by fvwm, fvwm2, fvwm95, AnotherLevel. All these seem to be
>the same thing but have their own configuration files. How can I  cwhich
>one my Linux is using?

They're all different window managers. The fvwm's are rewrites of each
other (although I believe that 2 and 95 share a common core). AnotherLevel
is another windowmanager (which I haven't heard of until now). All of them
do the same thing, but there are differences in look and feel, in
configuration and configurability, in size, in speed, in code maturity,
etc.

To find out which one you are using, check your .xinitrc, or merely type
ps x in an xterm when you're in x. One of the processes (probably the
first one with the number greater than that of X itself) will be your
window manager.

marco

>                                |   We know what causes *: poverty,   <
>         Marco Anglesio         |     discrimination, the failure of the     <

>  http://www.veryComputer.com/~mpa  |     that cause * in our society.    <
>                                |              --Paul Billings.              <

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Troy Carte » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Are you using Red Hat?  If so, and you haven't changed the default
setup, you are using AnotherLevel.

If you don't have your own .xinitrc or .xsession, the window manager is
set in
the system wide Xinitrc (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, I think) or  Xsession
(/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc) (if you are using startx, it is in xinitrc, if
you are using xdm, it is in Xsession).  One way to be sure about what
you are using is to make an executable .xinitrc (if you use startx) or
.xsession (if you use xdm) in your home directory, and start your window
manager there:

#!/bin/bash
#
exec fvwm2 # or AnotherLevel or enlightenment or whatever

(make sure you use chmod u+x on the file first).  You can, of course,
start up other x apps before "exec fvwm2" if you want (I use fvwm2, and
start everything in the "Init" section of my .fvwm2rc).

-Troy

--
----------------------------
Troy Carter

Post by Dan Nguye » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:>I am confused by fvwm, fvwm2, fvwm95, AnotherLevel. All these seem to be
:>the same thing but have their own configuration files. How can I  cwhich
:>one my Linux is using?

: They're all different window managers. The fvwm's are rewrites of each
: other (although I believe that 2 and 95 share a common core).
fvwm was orginally a hack of twm.  enlightenment (really old version
of it anyway) and afterstep are hacks of fvwm.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~nguyend7 |                   -George Sand

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Benyang Tan » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks for all the help. I used ps to figure out that I am using fvwm2.
> The file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc isn't that simple. It has lots of if-fi,
> calls other files and is 2 pages long; I hardly know what it is doing.

I don't think it is a good decision for RedHat to bundle fvwm2 as the
default window manager. It is really hard to configure. For one thing, I
spent a long time trying to make that little pager go away. I looked up all
the how-to, man pages, 2 thick books, etc, and have not succeeded yet. The
pager always stays on top, forcing my other windows to squeeze to avoid it.

When I launch netscape, it opens a window larger than the screen, the title
bar disappearing beyond the monitor and the lower 1/3 being covered by the
taskbar. So far, things look so stupid.

Can anybody recommend a simpler (easier to configure) window manager?

Post by Gerald Willman » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Can anybody recommend a simpler (easier to configure) window manager?

try wm2 - simple, no configuration at all, and beautiful

  Gerald

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Norm Dresne » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I don't think it is a good decision for RedHat to bundle fvwm2 as the
> default window manager. It is really hard to configure. For one thing, I
> spent a long time trying to make that little pager go away. I looked up
all
> the how-to, man pages, 2 thick books, etc, and have not succeeded yet.
The
> pager always stays on top, forcing my other windows to squeeze to avoid
it.

> When I launch netscape, it opens a window larger than the screen, the
title
> bar disappearing beyond the monitor and the lower 1/3 being covered by
the
> taskbar. So far, things look so stupid.

> Can anybody recommend a simpler (easier to configure) window manager?

        Well, for that retro look, there's always fvwm (the classic).  I think
it's easier and it's mentioned in several X Window books I have.

        Norm D

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by b.. » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:
:
[...]

KDE is easier to configure, but fvwm2 isn't that hard either. You've
got  two problems, only one of which is fvwm related. You can make the
pager go away by removing every line from your .fvwm2rc file that has
the line FvwmPager in it - in my .fvwm2rc that's

                +              "Pager" Module FvwmPager 0 3

If you can't do it, send me your .fvwm2rc file and I'll do it for you.

The other problem is your virtual X resolution. You can set X to
display a resolution of, say, 1600x1200 when your monitor only
displays 1024x768. If you maximize a window everything will go
off-screen (unless you determined the maximum window size in your .fvwm2rc,
that is). Just remove every resolution greater that the monitor
resolution from your XF86Config file.
--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

Post by Benyang Tan » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> KDE is easier to configure, but fvwm2 isn't that hard either. You've
> got  two problems, only one of which is fvwm related. You can make the
> pager go away by removing every line from your .fvwm2rc file that has
> the line FvwmPager in it - in my .fvwm2rc that's

>                 +              "Pager" Module FvwmPager 0 3

> If you can't do it, send me your .fvwm2rc file and I'll do it for you.

> The other problem is your virtual X resolution. You can set X to
> display a resolution of, say, 1600x1200 when your monitor only
> displays 1024x768. If you maximize a window everything will go
> off-screen (unless you determined the maximum window size in your .fvwm2rc,
> that is). Just remove every resolution greater that the monitor
> resolution from your XF86Config file.
> --

> Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

  Thanks for the help. I did what you said and also have to delete the almost 2
pages garbage in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and replace with just 2 lines
xterm&
fvwm2

It works.

Another thing I have done is to change /etc/fstab, replacing every msdos with
vfat. Now I can see long filenames in the windows hard disk and floppy. This
trick is not mentioned in any of the about 10 linux books (some are really
thick) I have read.

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Joe Brenn » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Well, it sounds like you've got some methods of your own
worked out, but just for the hell of it I figured out a
stupid hack that will get rid of the Pager from the lower
right hand corner of AnotherStep.

The trick I came up with is to go to the file
   fvwm2rc.init.m4
Find the  "EndSetupFunction", and add a line like this:

   + "I"        KillModule FvwmButtons

In other words, instead of figuring out what was starting
the thing up, I'm killing it automatically.

I've been writing up a web page with my adventures in
customizing AnotherStep, if anyone's interested in more
details:

http://www.grin.net/~mirthless/web/doomhowto-customizeRedHat5x_021299...

I think it's interesting that you guys are talking about
using some approaches that I wasn't able to get to work.
For instance, I don't use a ".fvwm2rc" file (instead I've
got local copies of everything from /usr/X11/AnotherLevel).

And if I tried to start things up with an fvwm2 at the end
of my .xinitrc, I'm pretty sure I would get the window
manager running without the 95-like taskbar at the bottom of
the screen.  Instead I use do a "RunWM".

(I can understand why you might not want the taskbar, but
if you want to get away from it maybe you really should just
be using another window manager...)

>> KDE is easier to configure, but fvwm2 isn't that hard either. You've
>> got  two problems, only one of which is fvwm related. You can make the
>> pager go away by removing every line from your .fvwm2rc file that has
>> the line FvwmPager in it - in my .fvwm2rc that's

>>                 +              "Pager" Module FvwmPager 0 3

>> If you can't do it, send me your .fvwm2rc file and I'll do it for you.

>> The other problem is your virtual X resolution. You can set X to
>> display a resolution of, say, 1600x1200 when your monitor only
>> displays 1024x768. If you maximize a window everything will go
>> off-screen (unless you determined the maximum window size in your .fvwm2rc,
>> that is). Just remove every resolution greater that the monitor
>> resolution from your XF86Config file.
>> --

>> Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt
>  Thanks for the help. I did what you said and also have to delete the almost 2
>pages garbage in
>/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and replace with just 2 lines
>xterm&
>fvwm2
>It works.
>Another thing I have done is to change /etc/fstab, replacing every msdos with
>vfat. Now I can see long filenames in the windows hard disk and floppy. This
>trick is not mentioned in any of the about 10 linux books (some are really
>thick) I have read.

Huh, now this sounds like a really good trick.  I've
wondered about that myself... and I haven't come across it
in anything that I've read either.

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Shombol » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

OK, now let me get this straight: is wm2 the same as, or different than,
fvwm2? If different, where do I get it? If the same, why are we discussing
it as an alternative to itself?
 Anybody out there running RH 5.1 with a Permedia2 video card? I installed
X11R63331 including the 33313dl file, which put XF86_3DLabs in my X11R6
directory and elsewhere, but it's never an option in xf86config...........

Regards,

Post by Gerald Willman » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> OK, now let me get this straight: is wm2 the same as, or different than,
> fvwm2? If different, where do I get it? If the same, why are we discussing
> it as an alternative to itself?

it's a completely different animal - simplistic and aesthetic. Check out
http://www.plig.org/xwinman to find out about different window managers.
There you will also find a link to the sources but there are a few rpms
for wm2 out there. A websearch should have revealed all this by the way.

  Gerald

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Shombol » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

OK, I downloaded wm2 and wmx; now to figure what to do with them:
I'm a total newbie at linux, just installed it a week ago. I notice I'll
need to compile these files, so now to figure how to do that.....

>> OK, now let me get this straight: is wm2 the same as, or different than,
>> fvwm2? If different, where do I get it? If the same, why are we
discussing
>> it as an alternative to itself?

>it's a completely different animal - simplistic and aesthetic. Check out
>http://www.plig.org/xwinman to find out about different window managers.
>There you will also find a link to the sources but there are a few rpms
>for wm2 out there. A websearch should have revealed all this by the way.

>  Gerald

How do I know which window manager I am using?

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>OK, I downloaded wm2 and wmx; now to figure what to do with them:
>I'm a total newbie at linux, just installed it a week ago. I notice I'll
>need to compile these files, so now to figure how to do that.....

I've not used wm2; it seems a little overly spartan to my mind.

With wmx, once you compile it, which shouldn't be too rough, you then
set up the "menu" by creating executible files in the directory
$HOME/.wmx/

You would, perhaps, do something like the following:

% cd ~
% mkdir .wmx
% cd .wmx
% ln -s `which emacs` Emacs
% ln -s `which exmh` EXMH
% ln -s `which netscape` Netscape
% ln -s `which rxvt` Rxvt
% cat > Slrn
#!/bin/sh
/usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt -fn lucidasanstypewriter-bold-14 -geometry 80x40 -e slrn --spool
^D
% chmod a+x Slrn

And perhaps other things that you'd like to be able to run from the menu.
-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>