HP3000- Linux connectivity - help

Post by joseph norri » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

This is the scenario:

HP3000 (947) holds a video catalog system.
We are currently providing Internet services on our Linux box.

I have been able to write code to extract data from the HP. Then download
this data to my PC and the ftp it to the Linux box.
Then this data gets loaded into an msql database which is accessed via
HTML/perl cgi combo.

The above is a rough draft of what's going on now.

The problem:  using the PC as a bridge does not allow my data on the
server to be as current as it is on the HP.
We have talked about converting the whole system to a Linux app, but
this would consume time, a lot of code is already in place on the HP, users
like the HP interface, etc.... really all comes down to BUCKS.

The great idea would be to turn the HP into the Internet server, then the
data and original programs would be in place, just adding a bit of
HTML/perl
or python code to give the web users access. Management is deathly in fear
of allowing any web access to the HP - financial systems security, etc.

This is a very rough outline of the problem.  I guess what I'm asking is
if there are any suggestions out there as how I might get around this
problem.  Some sort of data tunnel? maybe. I don't know.

Any, Any suggestion would be most appreciated.  Joseph

    Joseph Norris

    Mendocino County Office Of Education

HP3000- Linux connectivity - help

Post by Thor Sigvaldas » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> HP3000 (947) holds a video catalog system.
> We are currently providing Internet services on our Linux box.

> I have been able to write code to extract data from the HP. Then download
> this data to my PC and the ftp it to the Linux box.
> Then this data gets loaded into an msql database which is accessed via
> HTML/perl cgi combo.

        You don't mention what sort of DBMS is running on the HP.

Quote:> The great idea would be to turn the HP into the Internet server, then the
> data and original programs would be in place, just adding a bit of
> HTML/perl
> or python code to give the web users access. Management is deathly in fear
> of allowing any web access to the HP - financial systems security, etc.

        Is the databse on the HP running under something that provides a
server (Oracle, PostgreSQL)? If so, you could just ethernet the Linux box
and the HP together and have web access to the Linux box call a CGI-bin
program to act as a client and output HTML code. This would add a
quasi-layer of protection (web access is to the Linux box, which then makes
the client request to the HP). With enough firewalling on the Linux box,
this should be reasonably secure. Especially if you set up the HP server to
not allow any changes to the data from the Linux client and shut down any
other access method (no telnet, ftpd, httpd, etc.).

        All this depends on what the HP is running.

        Of course if you want invulnerable externel security, then copying
files to a floppy disk (as you're currently doing) is about as close as
you'll ever get!

Hope this helps,

Thor Sigvaldason

HP3000- Linux connectivity - help

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Along slightly different lines, does anyone know if there is a com
program for Linux that emulates an HP3000 teminal for a simple modem
connection?

The DOS/Win programs use what looks like a standard 80 or 132 column
display with 8 programable (from the other end) function keys at the
bottom (F1-F8).  It would be nice to be able to switch from 80 column
to 132 column on the fly.  I currently use a Win95 program to connect
from home.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

1. HP3000 -Linux connectivity - help

[...]

2. /////////////Please, Please Help !!! Tape Device Problem\\\\\\\\\\\\

3. HP3000 connectivity

4. Window/Font sizes in xterm

5. CHALLENGE: partial internet connectivity under linux where as win98 gives full connectivity on same machine

6. Where can I get POSIX Security Documents?

7. reading HP3000 DAT Tapes with linux

8. XMMS 1.0.1 compiles but not working...

9. Can I read a 4mm tape from a HP3000 under linux?

11. Linux and IBM host connectivity (SNA and SDLC): please, help!

12. help needed: Linux + Windows connectivity

13. Help needed re: BBC micro <---> Linux connectivity