Looking for "ELF Developpers Release"

Post by Casey Claibor » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello,
        I am looking for the Unifix Distribution of the "ELF Developpers Release".
I would like to install some software that requires ELF to be working and I
am running Linux kernel 1.2.1. Someone told me that with this distribution, they
were able to have ELF working without having to go to 1.2.11, 1.2.12 and 1.2.13.
At least it looks a bit easier to work with

If anyone has any clues or comments on the Unifix Distribution, I'm all ears
- or - since reading is required in this case, all eyes :)

TIA

Looking for "ELF Developpers Release"

Post by Martin Neitz » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Unifix works just fine, and yep, it went ELF with Linux kernel 1.2.1.
I cannot say what the number of the current Unifix release is, sorry.

                                                        Martin Neitzel

Post by Ramiro Estru » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
> Date: 6 Sep 1995 16:38:28 -0500

> Hello,
>    I am looking for the Unifix Distribution of the "ELF Developpers Release".
> I would like to install some software that requires ELF to be working and I
> am running Linux kernel 1.2.1. Someone told me that with this distribution, they
> were able to have ELF working without having to go to 1.2.11, 1.2.12 and 1.2.13.
> At least it looks a bit easier to work with

> If anyone has any clues or comments on the Unifix Distribution, I'm all ears
> - or - since reading is required in this case, all eyes :)

> TIA

I dont know what the unifix elf release is, but if you want an elf
release NOW, you can use either:

red hat: ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/mirrors/redhat/redhat-2.0

-or-

slackware: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-elf-beta

-re

--

-re

  #                            Ramiro Estrugo                            #

  #                       http://www.fateware.com                        #

Post by Claus Seitt » Sat, 09 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
|> Date: 6 Sep 1995 16:38:28 -0500
|>
|> Hello,
|>   I am looking for the Unifix Distribution of the "ELF Developpers Release".
|> I would like to install some software that requires ELF to be working and I
|> am running Linux kernel 1.2.1. Someone told me that with this distribution, they
|> were able to have ELF working without having to go to 1.2.11, 1.2.12 and 1.2.13.
|> At least it looks a bit easier to work with
|>
|> If anyone has any clues or comments on the Unifix Distribution, I'm all ears
|> - or - since reading is required in this case, all eyes :)
|>

|> TIA

Hi there,
I found their address again. The interesting thing with that release is
for me:

-- It is a pretty good working ELF Release, though I'm anxious waiting
   for the next update because the libraries are getting out of date now

-- It supplies a AHA29XX patch in its 1.2.1 Kernel that runs stable on
   my machine for several weeks now

And here you can find them:
   UNIFIX Software GmbH
   Bueltenweg 27e
   38106 Braunschweig
   Germany
   Tel. 0531/238800
        0531/338751

   I always failed to get there.

Regards,
#    Claus Seitter
#    SIEMENS NIXDORF AG
#    SNI BS2000 SD214
#    Muenchen
#    Tel. +49-89-636-49268

Post by r.. » Mon, 11 Sep 1995 04:00:00

 : Unifix works just fine, and yep, it went ELF with Linux kernel 1.2.1.
 : I cannot say what the number of the current Unifix release is, sorry.

 :
 :                                                      Martin Neitzel

I have the unifix linux system (Called Linux Universe), and I can't at all
recommend it. It is a very complete distribution (contains more stuff than
slackware). It comes with a 150 page book. The first half is installation and
configuration and its a real mess. Unfortunately, the distribution is different
enough that you really can't use other linux install guides to help much. The laater
half of the book is quite nice. It contains a quicky guide to the most used unix
commands and reminds me of O'Reilley's Nutshell handbook.

It has a single floppy install, that is quite nice, but not that intuitive to use
if you have used slackware's. It failed to configure X properly, but thats easily
fixed by using xf86config. I installed the complete system, but it still leaves
alot of stuff linked back to the CD, such as, kernel sources, man pages, info, and a
few other things in /usr. I personally hate distributions that stay linked to CD's.
Although it was relatively easy to correct this. This distributions system initialization
files are very system 5'ish. No rc.local to be found. If you are used to slack, you'll
be in for a rude awakening, and again the manual is not of much help. But the thing
that really turned me off, was the inability to compile any kernels other than the
1.2.1, 1.2.0, 1.95 kernels included. Now I'm not a C expert or a kernel hacker per
se, but I have compiled many kernels under slack, sls, Yggdrasil, redhat, tamu, mcc
distributions. But, I could find no way to compile any other linux 1.2 or 1.3 kernel
with this system. They have done quite a bit of customization to their kernel compilation
procedure and I just couldn't figure it out. Of course, the manual explains how to
do the compile, but it was just plain wrong. So, eventually I gave up. Too bad, though
it realy looked like it was promising.

I've just spent the past day downloading Redhat 2.0 which is all ELF. I tried the
beta version a couple weeks ago and it had some problems but was very promising.
I've just setup 2.0 and it is very, very, nice. It is a 3 floppy install and comes
with both a dialog (text based) and X based installation. It wouldn't configure X
right for my system so I used the text based install, which looks kinda like slack's
but a bit easier to use. Everything came up great after I configured X. It has some
very nice, easy to use tools for sys adm stuff. It also has an html based documentation
system running under the arena web browser. The Unifix system did too, but it ran under
lynx. The initialzation files are also quite system 5'ish but relatively easy to understand
and configure. It is a very complete distribution (more than slack) and includes
favorites of mine such as SLRN, JED, MOST from Mr Davis. They seemed to have really
scoured the net for all the latest versions of everything. Now for the one caveat, I could
not compile any kernels whatsoever cause all the gcc headers seem to be missing. Nowhere is
stdio.h to be found on the system. Ack! talk about an oversite! oh well, everything else
seems to work. As they just released this this week, I'm sure bug fixes will be forthcoming
very quickly!

The other elf distribution is slackware's and it is still Beta. In other words its
missing things like emacs. I suppose it is will be typical (outstanding) Volkerding quality when
its complete.

So my opinion is get redhat now, wait for slack, and forget Unifix.

Cheers,

Geo

Post by Peter Suetterl » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: The other elf distribution is slackware's and it is still Beta. In
: other words its missing things like emacs. I suppose it is will be
: typical (outstanding) Volkerding quality when its complete.

Not true. emacs is included since about a month ago, and works very
well. OTOH I have some problems compiling, too. But that might be a
problem of the elfish binutils?

  Peter

Peter "Pit" Suetterlin                      http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de
Kiepenheuer Institut fuer Sonnenphysik

 -- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * --
Come and see the stars!             http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de/~ps/SFB
Sternfreunde Breisgau e.V.
Tel.: +49 761 73571 or 278588

Post by Erik Tro » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>not compile any kernels whatsoever cause all the gcc headers seem to be missing. Nowhere is
>stdio.h to be found on the system. Ack! talk about an oversite! oh well, everything else
>seems to work. As they just released this this week, I'm sure bug fixes will be forthcoming
>very quickly!

Well, you found our first bug. You'd get a prize, but we noticed it this
morning.

The series file wasn't real complete for the development one. You need to
install at least the libc-include and libc-devel RPM's to do any kind of
real development work. You can use "rpm -i libc*rpm" or use the glint tool
to do this.

If you're doing a graphical install, you can select those while you're
customizing the installation.

Erik

 "Eggheads unite!  You have nothing to lose but your yolks" - Adlai Stevenson

Looking for "ELF Developpers Release"

Post by r.. » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Damn! Seems as if I'm always a bit late for those freebie's :) Would it help
if I said, I found the bug the night before I posted? :) Oh well, I did find
another one none the less. It appears that some of /usr/bin wasn't installed, specifically
awk and gawk. So I just went ahead and said the hell with it and did an
rpm -i *rpm, and let your utility handle whatever else might have been missed
during the text install. So do I win a T-shirt now? How about a Redhat coffee
mug as an honorable mention? :)

Cheers,

Geo

Post by Erik Tro » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>another one none the less. It appears that some of /usr/bin wasn't installed, specifically
>awk and gawk. So I just went ahead and said the hell with it and did an
>rpm -i *rpm, and let your utility handle whatever else might have been missed
>during the text install. So do I win a T-shirt now? How about a Redhat coffee
>mug as an honorable mention? :)

We haven't decided what to do about awk actually. We didn't like it in the
base series (which we tried to keep as small as possible), and it didn't
fit anywhere else. I guess leaving it out all together was a mistake
though <sigh>.

Erik

 "Eggheads unite!  You have nothing to lose but your yolks" - Adlai Stevenson

Looking for "ELF Developpers Release"

Post by Erik Tro » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>We haven't decided what to do about awk actually. We didn't like it in the
>base series (which we tried to keep as small as possible), and it didn't
>fit anywhere else. I guess leaving it out all together was a mistake
>though <sigh>.

I just looked, and awk *is* in the base series. If you do a text based
install, it should always wind up in there. I'll have to poke around
a little more and see if I can duplicate your problems.