only root can log on

Post by jason9.. » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Help,
I keep seeing rumors of a fix to the "only root can logon" but no one
ever seems to post the fix.  Anyone want to change that? I get just
past the logon screen before I snap back to it.  The error message I
get is:
_FONTTransSocketUNIXConnect:Can't connect: errno:111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1
fatal server error
could not open 'fixed
Warning: /dev/mouse unable to get atatus of mouse fd (Input/Output
error)
Up until 3 days ago I could logon as user and things were fine, can
anyone help?
Please keep in mind that I've had Linux for all of 2 weeks so there's
no thing as to simple an explanation.
Thanks
Jason

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

only root can log on

Post by Sore » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Log in as root, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and comment out
the erroneous FontPath line you will inevitably find.  Put
instead a RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb" line there.

This can't hurt.

Soren

> Help,
> I keep seeing rumors of a fix to the "only root can logon" but no one
> ever seems to post the fix.  Anyone want to change that? I get just
> past the logon screen before I snap back to it.  The error message I
> get is:
> _FONTTransSocketUNIXConnect:Can't connect: errno:111
> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1
> fatal server error
> could not open 'fixed
> Warning: /dev/mouse unable to get atatus of mouse fd (Input/Output
> error)
> Up until 3 days ago I could logon as user and things were fine, can
> anyone help?
> Please keep in mind that I've had Linux for all of 2 weeks so there's
> no thing as to simple an explanation.
> Thanks
> Jason

1. Prevent ROOT using logging on as ROOT

Does anybody have a way to prevent the ROOT account from logging on as
ROOT?

I would like have the user use the SU so that I have a log of the
activity.

Thanks

Mike Wesolowski

City of Milwaukee Housing Authority

2. Hauppauge Support 4 Linux ?

3. PPP error when only su to root; OK if logged in as root

4. bash autologout

5. Can't log in as root, but can su root

6. newer TI-RPC (RPCSEC_GSS) distribution?

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Instructions for The Coroner's Toolkit

9. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

10. CGI: apache canned response

11. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

12. Canned "ping"