Networked printing

Post by Mark Harv » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Have a quick question...  I am running a Linux 1.2.1 machine on an
: ethernet network.  There is a laser printer (HP 4/4M) on the lan.  How
: can I tell Linux to print to that printer?  How would I go about
: configuring that?

Yes please.
I've read the printing-HOWTO but it does not cover NETWORK'ed printers
either HP on the LAN or Network Print Servers.
Mark Harvey

Networked printing

Post by Graeme Elswort » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> : Have a quick question...  I am running a Linux 1.2.1 machine on an
> : ethernet network.  There is a laser printer (HP 4/4M) on the lan.  How
> : can I tell Linux to print to that printer?  How would I go about
> : configuring that?

> Yes please.
> I've read the printing-HOWTO but it does not cover NETWORK'ed printers
> either HP on the LAN or Network Print Servers.
> Mark Harvey

Do something like this in /etc/printcap:

lp|lp0|No.7 Level 1 Printer Room:\
       :lp=:rm=remoteprintername:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp0:mx#0:

Names such as lp, lp0 etc are of your choosing and are used with the -P flag to lpr,
lpq and lprm, remoteprintername is the name as specified in /etc/hosts (or via a DNS)
of the printer.  /usr/spool/... is a place to put the print files between you sending
them and them getting to the remote printer.  Natch this directory must exist before
you try and use it - its not created for you.

You can read all about this in `man printcap'.

Graeme.

Sunrise: stuck in traffic.
Day: Systems Manager, Telectronics Pacing Systems.
     ph +61 2 413 6888 or +61 41 922 3349   fax +61 2 413 6868   http://www.tps.com/
Sunset: stuck in traffic.
Night: Anywhere I wanna be. (One free guess)