LILO 0.15/creating two bootable dos partitions on the same drive

LILO 0.15/creating two bootable dos partitions on the same drive

Post by Charles Ch » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to have
two bootable dos partitions on the same disk?
The problem I am running into is as follows:

/dev/hda1 dos1
/dev/hda2 dos2
/dev/hdb1 linux
/dev/hdb2 linux swap

1)  dos1 will boot if the active flag  is set for hda1 and
    the active flag for hda2 is set or unset

2)  dos2 will only boot if the active flag for hda1 is unset
    and the active flag for hda2 is set

3)  linux has no problem booting in either of these situations

Is there anyway to set the active flag during boot time through
lilo (or something) or
is my only possible solution to separate the dos partitions
onto separate drives. If the active flag is set for both hda1
and hda2 and I try to boot dos2 the system hangs; it gets past
the lilo prompt but hags during the  "starting MSDOS . . ."
message (I think its having problems determining what logical
drives there are, i.e., what's c, what's d.

Thanks,
Charlie Chen

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: LILO 0.15 and two bootable dos partitions on same disk

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Is there anyway to set the active flag during boot time through
: lilo (or something)

Maybe - lilo can do many things - but offhand I do not recall
such an option. It would be somewhat clumsy, but you could
use a 2-line fdisk script (for fdisk 3.02) to change the active
flag, and then boot the desired version of dos.
(Here you could use the -R option of lilo.)

Post by Marvin Kurtt » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,
>Does anyone know if it is possible to have
>two bootable dos partitions on the same disk?
     <snip>
>Thanks,
>Charlie Chen

I use System Commander to switch between linux and two bootable
dos partitions, one with win3.1 and the other with win95.  I have
it set up so the dos partitions are concealed from each other. Both
can access dos partitiions on other disks and of course linux can
access them all.
                              Marv
Huntsville Alabama

1. LILO (v 0.15) questions

Hello,

I am trying to get LILO (0.15) to boot linux from my harddisk.

My disk is a 540 MEG IDE disk that is too large for my bios to handle
(I suspect that here is the problem).  If I boot the slackware 2.0
boot and root floppies and then reboot from a LILO generated floppy,
everything is fine.  However, if I try to boot directly from the LILO
generated floppy, I get LBBBBBBB...

I suspect that the problem is that my bios can't handle my disk
geometry.  So I tried to specify it directly in the lilo.conf file.  I
use the following:

disk = /dev/hda
  bios = 0x80
  sectors = 63
  heads = 16
  cylinders = 1048

at the start of my lilo.conf file.  I get a syntax error on the disk=
line. (This is taken almost verbatim from theLILO v 0.15
documentation (section 3.4.2).

I have two questions:

1) what do I need to do to get a single floppy to boot like the three
floppy solution that I currently use (first boot with two slackware
boot/root floppies, and then reboot with my LILO floppy)?

2) what am I doing wrong with the disk= syntax such that I get a
syntax error?

Thanks in advance,

--
--Mark

Recent papers on memory allocation and garbage collection are available by
anonymous ftp from cs.utexas.edu in /pub/garbage (See the README file there.)

2. Apache/Linux/Localhost Problem

3. Creating second primary dos partition with linux

4. Unauthorized COLA FAQ 2/5 7-Jul-2002

5. DOS/Win95 from second hard drive with LILO??

6. (none)

7. Help me booting Dos from the second hard drive (LILO)!

8. Mixing Solaris with FreeBSD or Linux

9. LILO: booting dos from second hard drive

10. Help me booting Dos from the second hard drive (LILO)!

11. Can LILO Boot DOS From Second IDE Drive?

12. Is DOS still limited to two partitions/drive

13. Access to DOS partition on the second drive