Stupid LILO tricks and boot hangs...

Post by Paul Slootma » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>recompiling the kernel, and copying the
>resulting vmlinux to the same spot I had been booting from.

Did you rerun lilo at that point?

Quote:>Reboot.....  At the LILO prompt I type rh5 to get the 5.1 system, and I get

>So I boot back into 4.1 (which still works, fortunately), and copy the
>original vmlinuz file to /boot/rh1... reboot and try to load it.... LOCKUP!

I think I can be sure you didn't rerun lilo.

Quote:>So now I can't get into my 5.1 system.  Any ideas???

Add the new kernel image description to your 4.1 lilo.conf, rerun lilo
from there, reboot.

Paul Slootman
--

http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>> recompiling the kernel, and copying the
>>> resulting vmlinux to the same spot I had been booting from.

              ^^^^^^^

Quote:>          it told me that my rh5 custom compiled kernel was too big!
> What's the deal with that?  It's almost a megabyte.  The standard one was
> 444K.

"vmlinux" is uncompressed and may be ~1 MB.  "vmlinuz" (assuming ix86,
named arch/i386/boot/zImage) is a traditional name for a compressed kernel,
and would be ~400 kB.  (For really big kernels, there's "bzImage", which I
believe just gives more complicated instructions for uncompressing the
kernel image.)

--
|||    "It was not granted you to complete the task, and           |||
|||     yet you may not give it up."      --Rabbi Tarfon           |||

Post by John Tisc » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> >recompiling the kernel, and copying the
>> >resulting vmlinux to the same spot I had been booting from.

>> Did you rerun lilo at that point?

>I ran it after adding rh5 to the lilo.conf file for the first time, but I
>wasn't aware I had to run it again after overwriting /boot/rh5 with a
>*different* kernel.

>When I did that, it told me that my rh5 custom compiled kernel was too big!
>What's the deal with that?  It's almost a megabyte.  The standard one was
>444K.

>Anyway, my problem with the standard kernel locking up turned out to be the
>fact that I neglected to restore the original module directory.  Now it
works
>fine, but I sure wish I could get my custom kernel to boot.....

Steps

make dep
make clean
make bzImage (to verify it compiles ok)
make bzlilo (this will copy the kernel to /vmlinux and update lilo
automatically)
make modules
make modules_install
depmod -a

I also like to clean out the /lib/modules/2.x.x/ directory before doing any
module stuff to
make sure any old stuff is gone (have had problems in the past with old
modules)

- John