Help a newbie

Help a newbie

Post by Gerald Willman » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00




> Is there a sort of autoexec.bat equivalent so that it'll automatically
> mount my Win95 partition each time or do I use some other method for
> auto-mounting?

you could put it in your fstab file and without the noauto option it
should mount and umount automatically.
                                             Gerald
 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Paul Richard » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Gerald Willmann writes,


>> Is there a sort of autoexec.bat equivalent so that it'll automatically
>> mount my Win95 partition each time or do I use some other method for
>> auto-mounting?

>you could put it in your fstab file and without the noauto option it
>should mount and umount automatically.
>                                             Gerald

Thanks but...
I had a go at mounting it manually before I plonked it into that file
you mentioned but I get an error...
 Unknown mount point /win95
Or something similar, I should've wrote it down.
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
ICQ#    14106503

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by benjamin j snyd » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00




Quote:

>Thanks but...
>I had a go at mounting it manually before I plonked it into that file
>you mentioned but I get an error...
> Unknown mount point /win95
>Or something similar, I should've wrote it down.

As root type 'cd /', then 'mkdir win95'  now if you use /win95 (in a file, on
the command line, whereever) it will work.  

What happens is that linux wants to address this new mount as a directory, and
it wants you to tell it which directory to use.  so after you mount that sucker
you need to cd to /win95 (just like DOS...except the '/')...if you do a 'ls'
you should then see all of the files on C:\.

Hope this helps and isnt too confusing.
--
Ben Snyder                              

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Thomas Bogg » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00



> Pete Writes,
> [snip stuff about mounting Win95 drives]

> Is there a sort of autoexec.bat equivalent so that it'll automatically
> mount my Win95 partition each time or do I use some other method for
> auto-mounting?

> Also,
> I still need info on what to use to edit ASCII files...
> --
> Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

> HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
> ICQ#    14106503

There is an equivalent to the autoexec file : /etc/inittab.  But that's
not what you should edit.  Modify your /etc/fstab which contains a table
of filesystems which can be mounted.   Any entry in the file which does
not have the "noauto" option will automatically be mounted. Type "man
fstab" and "man mount" from the command line to get more info.

As far as editing ascii files, vi is a typical editor, but you'll have to
check out the man page on vi to learn how to use it.  If it's too painful
for you to use, get a GUI-based editor like nedit, gnotepad, kedit, etc..

-thomas

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Paul Richard » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00


benjamin j snyder writes,



>>Thanks but...
>>I had a go at mounting it manually before I plonked it into that file
>>you mentioned but I get an error...
>> Unknown mount point /win95
>>Or something similar, I should've wrote it down.

>As root type 'cd /', then 'mkdir win95'  now if you use /win95 (in a file, on
>the command line, whereever) it will work.  

>What happens is that linux wants to address this new mount as a directory, and
>it wants you to tell it which directory to use.  so after you mount that sucker
>you need to cd to /win95 (just like DOS...except the '/')...if you do a 'ls'
>you should then see all of the files on C:\.

>Hope this helps and isnt too confusing.

Ah, SUBST style!
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
ICQ#    14106503
 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Paul Richard » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00


benjamin j snyder writes,
[snip]

Right,
I think I've got this all sorted apart from what I put in fstab, I just
guessed that bit.  Here's my fstab file:
/dev/hda5           /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda6           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda1           /win95                  vfat    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc1           /backups                vfat    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0            /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto          0 0
/dev/cdrom          /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
none                /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

It's the 3rd and 4th line that I put in, is it OK?

The sound saga...
I still get an error when it attempts to play the sound sample after
configuration.

IRC...
I had a look at the program IRCII but when I try to connect to
efnet.demon.co.uk I get an error saying that I can't log in as ROOT or
something.  So I made a new user account thingy and enabled all the
privileges but when I used that I couldn't get the network thingy up to
start the PPP connection.  Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help so far, hopefully my next post will be from
Linux!
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
ICQ#    14106503

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by brian moo » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00


On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:47:15 +0000,

Quote:> benjamin j snyder writes,
> [snip]

> Right,
> I think I've got this all sorted apart from what I put in fstab, I just
> guessed that bit.  Here's my fstab file:
> /dev/hda5           /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> /dev/hda6           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda1           /win95                  vfat    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdc1           /backups                vfat    defaults        0 0
> /dev/fd0            /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto          0 0
> /dev/cdrom          /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
> none                /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

> It's the 3rd and 4th line that I put in, is it OK?

Yep, and you claimed you were a newbie? :)

Quote:> The sound saga...
> I still get an error when it attempts to play the sound sample after
> configuration.

What error and what program?

Quote:> IRC...
> I had a look at the program IRCII but when I try to connect to
> efnet.demon.co.uk I get an error saying that I can't log in as ROOT or
> something.  So I made a new user account thingy and enabled all the
> privileges but when I used that I couldn't get the network thingy up to
> start the PPP connection.  Any ideas?

Ah, you're so close.

Because PPP is basically networking, it would be very bad if just anyone
could make networking changes so this is restricted to root.

There are several ways to deal with it though, for a typical home
machine.  The three typical ones:

1)   'setuid' -- make pppd itself suid-root, so that when it's run it
     will become root regardless of who ran it.  You can combine this
     with groups (make a group for people who can bring up ppp) so that
     not every user could, just those in the group.  See 'man chmod' for
     the details, or cheat and do:  chmod 04555 /usr/sbin/pppd

2)   a wrapper like 'sudo' that you can configure to allow people to
     execute commands as root that they normally couldn't do.  Beats
     passing out the root password.

3)   su to root, start ppp, then exit back to you.  The lazy man's
     approach.

Quote:> Thanks for all your help so far, hopefully my next post will be from
> Linux!

Wouldn't surprise me.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a*roach, except that the*roach
      Usenet Vandal               |  is higher up on the evolutionary chain."
      Netscum, Bane of Elves.                 Peter Olson, Delphi Postmaster

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Paul Richard » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00


brian moore writes,
[snip]

Quote:>There are several ways to deal with it though, for a typical home
>machine.  The three typical ones:

>1)   'setuid' -- make pppd itself suid-root
???
>, so that when it's run it
>     will become root regardless of who ran it.  You can combine this
>     with groups (make a group for people who can bring up ppp) so that
>     not every user could, just those in the group.  See 'man chmod' for
>     the details, or cheat and do:  chmod 04555 /usr/sbin/pppd

And the other methods are for poofs...  :)

Quote:>> Thanks for all your help so far, hopefully my next post will be from
>> Linux!

>Wouldn't surprise me.

I spoke too soon...

And the sound...
The exact error message was:
"An error was encountered running the ModProbe program"
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
ICQ#    14106503

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Paul Richard » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Paul Richards writes,
Quote:>And the other methods are for poofs...  :)

Is that why you guys aren't replying, 'cos I said a bad word?  :)
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
ICQ#    14106503
 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by Paul Richard » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00


brian moore writes,

Quote:>1)   'setuid' -- make pppd itself suid-root, so that when it's run it
>     will become root regardless of who ran it.  You can combine this
>     with groups (make a group for people who can bring up ppp) so that
>     not every user could, just those in the group.  See 'man chmod' for
>     the details, or cheat and do:  chmod 04555 /usr/sbin/pppd

Right, well after no reply I sorta figured that out but how does the
user (who now has the ability to start PPP) actually start the PPP
connection through X11?  You see before I was going into the network
control panel and activating it from there.  Do I need to do it from the
shell?

BTW:  I used "chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd" if that was correct.

Please someone, answer this time.
--
Paul Richards (aka. Pauldoo)

HTTP    www.dunvegan1.demon.co.uk/paul/
ICQ#    14106503

 
 
 

Help a newbie

Post by brian moo » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00


On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:17:27 +0000,

Quote:> brian moore writes,
> >1)   'setuid' -- make pppd itself suid-root, so that when it's run it
> >     will become root regardless of who ran it.  You can combine this
> >     with groups (make a group for people who can bring up ppp) so that
> >     not every user could, just those in the group.  See 'man chmod' for
> >     the details, or cheat and do:  chmod 04555 /usr/sbin/pppd

> Right, well after no reply I sorta figured that out but how does the
> user (who now has the ability to start PPP) actually start the PPP
> connection through X11?  You see before I was going into the network
> control panel and activating it from there.  Do I need to do it from the
> shell?

> BTW:  I used "chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd" if that was correct.

> Please someone, answer this time.

Sorry, was busy doing work stuff.  (Did find out about an interesting
toy that will do "ppp over ethernet" which actually has some
applications despite it being wierd.)

Users should be able to start pppd the same way root would
(/usr/sbin/ppp-on for Slack, for example).

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a*roach, except that the*roach
      Usenet Vandal               |  is higher up on the evolutionary chain."
      Netscum, Bane of Elves.                 Peter Olson, Delphi Postmaster

 
 
 

1. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

Starting this learning experience literally from scratch.Will learn about
Unix and FreeBSD with all the documentation offered, but need to some
assistance initially before I can even get to that point.

The intended box that I plan on installing FreeBSD on is completely stripped
to the bone: Pentium 1, 2 gig HD, CD-ROM and Floppy, network card. HD is not
even formatted.

Here are the questions:

    - Does the HD need to be formatted? If so, in what format (FAT)?
    - What needs to be done with the other peripherals before installation
(I know I can't install it if there is no accessory configured to do so)?
    - Can the Free-BSD files be downloaded from a Windows box, then
installed onto the new box?
        If so, can it be done with the floppy drive (I know they fit on a
floppy perfectly in bin, but can they be transfered in such a way)?
        If not, what would you recommend for installation?
    - Lastly, once installed, where is the source code located once FreeBSD
is installed (is it in a certain directory, one big file or multiple), or
does it need to be downloaded separately? Is a development kit required for
access to manage/change?

From reading the "Newbie" Scetion on the web page, this newsgroup seems to
be where these kind of questions can be answered well. All assistance is
greatly appreciated. In advance, thanks for all the help.

Brad

2. Per-user File Descriptor Limit

3. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

4. Unix Systems Admin skills needed in uk

5. HELP HELP HELP NEWBIE Cannot get the DHCP set up properly and cannot connect to internet

6. rcc bug on SCO ODT 2.0 ?

7. Help..help...help... Newbie is clueless!!!

8. Help with 3comImpact IQ and MultiLinkPPP.

9. Newbie newbie newbie

10. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

11. Help! Newbie to Sun and need some help.

12. Newbie : Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

13. HELP: Newbie help needed 2940UW woes