rplay sound quality (or lack thereof).

Post by Jesse Hughe » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hey ho.

  I just downloaded and installed rplay.  I then ran the daemon using
the command:

rplayd -A /dev/audio -r 10 &

(after first listing all of my sounds files in
/usr/local/etc/rplay.conf).  To play sounds, I've been using the
command

rplay <filename>

However, the sound quality is much poorer than I expected.  It's got a
scratchy quality to it that the program "play" avoids.  This isn't a
problem of volume, I think, because it's still present when I use the
-v option to lower volume.

This happens with both .au and .wav files, though it's much worse with
.wav files.  So, I used sox to change all of my .wav's to .au's (using
the command "sox -V file.wav file.au").  Here's the output from that
command:

sox: Reading Wave file: Microsoft PCM format, 1 channel, 8000 samp/sec
sox:         8000 byte/sec, 1 block align, 8 bits/samp, 26001 data bytes

sox: Input file: using sample rate 8000
        size bytes, style unsigned, 1 channel
sox: Input file: comment "thanks.wav"

sox: SUN .AU format not specified.  Defaulting to 8khz u-law
sox: Output file: using sample rate 8000
        size bytes, style u-law, 1 channel
sox: Output file: comment "thanks.wav"

Any ideas?  I'm running rplay-3.2.0b5, sox version 12.12 and have the
Slackware 2.0.27 kernel.

Thanks,
Jesse

1. Problem with Mandrake 7.2 and Sound [lack thereof]

I just installed Mandrake 7.2.  Very nice.  But, no sound.  It thinks it
has discovered my sound card and enabled sound for it, as far as I can
tell via drakconf, but it really hasn't.  What confuses me is my old
Redhat 6.0 picked it up and configured for it just fine!!  I thought
Mandrake was based off of Redhat?

I have a Genius SoundMaker 3DJ sound card [Crystal CS4237].

Can anyone help me figure this one out?  OH!  And when I try to switch
the sound card from its selection to other Crystal options, it says "that
option is not supported yet".

Thank you,

Mike

PS - Yes, I checked the "supported hardware list", I sort of assumed it
was incomplete and listed the most well-known cards.  I guess I also
assumed that it would apply the driver that best suited the "generic"
card.

2. S3 and high scan rate?

3. Addonics SV750 sound (or lack thereof)

4. Getting file from a web server "by hand"?

5. IPSEC VPN masquerading, or the lack thereof, in Swoothwall

6. ISDN Configuration for winlinux ?

7. Netscape Fonts in RH 5.1 (or lack thereof)

8. Fortran77

9. Epson Stylus 740 USB initialization (or lack thereof)

10. Apollo lint (or lack thereof)

11. Modem speed or lack thereof.....

12. devfs and startx - or lack thereof

13. _tabs_ command, or the lack thereof