2 Questions-SMP / 32 bit on 64 bit machine

2 Questions-SMP / 32 bit on 64 bit machine

Post by Klaus Dischinge » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello althogether,

1 Question: SMP is it Symetric MultiProcessing or is it Shared-memory
MultiProcessor or is it all the same.

2 Question: Linux is known as a 32 bit operating system (not supporting 64
bit in any way). As far as I know is ULTRASparc or Power PC for example a 64
bit machine (and I guess Linux stays 32 bit OS on these machines). Can Linux
exploit any 64 bit feature like adressing more than 4 GB memory or storage
on these machines? If the instructions for Linux are 32 bits, are there two
at once processed on an 64 bit machine?

best regards :o)

Klaus

2 Questions-SMP / 32 bit on 64 bit machine

Post by Jeff Dillo » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Can Linux
> exploit any 64 bit feature like adressing more than 4 GB memory or storage
> on these machines? If the instructions for Linux are 32 bits, are there two
> at once processed on an 64 bit machine?

Ultralinux is a 64 bit os. It uses the 64-bit features of UltraSparc
chips.

http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html

Jeff

Jeff Dillon                     http://www.uiuc.edu/~jdillon

1. Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci

Hi,

I want to build a machine for compiling. I'm looking for a motherboard
with a KT333 chip set and 2, 64 bit PCI slots for a caching SCSI RAID
controller and a 2 GB NIC. Our make files and compiler won't take
advantage of dual processors. The only motherboards I have found with 64
bit PCI slots have slow KT266 or 760 chip sets.

Would it be faster to go with

   * Gigabyte GA-7VRXP or ABit AT7 or Asus A7V333
   * Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2200+ overclocked to the max (what is max?)
   * KT333 chip set
   * 1.5 GB Corsair PC3000, CAS 2, 370 MHz DDR
   * 32 bit, 33 MHz PCI
   * Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S w/ 128 MB cache, RAID 0
   * 4, Cheetah X15, 73 GB, 8 MB cache on RAID
   * One Cheetah X15 for Linux, one for swap on other SCSI channel
   * Water cooled CPU

or

   * Tyan Thunder K7X or Asus A7M266-D
   * Dual Athlon MP 2100+ Palamino slightly overclocked
   * AMD-760 MPX or KT266 chip set
   * 2 GB Corsair PC2100, CAS 2.5, 266 MHz DDR
   * 64 bit, 66 MHz  PCI
   * Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S w/ 256 MB cache, RAID 0
   * 4, Cheetah X15, 73 GB, 8 MB cache on RAID
   * One Cheetah X15 for Linux, one for swap on other SCSI channel
   * Water cooled CPU

The system will be paid for with company dollars so price is no object.

The compiler, linker, libraries, source, objects and temp objects will
all fit in 1.5 GB for a single build. The time to load 300 MB into RAM
for 32 bit, 33 MHz at 132 MB/sec is 2.3 seconds and I think that 4
Cheetah X15s will keep the PCI bus saturated. With 64 Bit and 66 MHz, it
would be about 1/2 second. I think that the compile and link time will
dwarf the loading time. We currently have 30 minute builds with dual P4,
1.4 GHz and slow, 10k RPM, NAS disks (and many users) and I am shooting
for 10 minutes or less.

I really only need to do a single build at a time and the most time
consuming part of the build is the link which is extremely CPU and
memory intensive. Assuming near zero swapping, and the inability to
efficiently make use of dual processors, how much faster will the faster
cpu/chip/memory system be than the other?

How far can you overclock the Thoroughbred XP or the Palamino MP with
the same water cooling system?

How fast would a P4 2.4 GHz be compared to the XP Thoroughbred 2200+
overclocked to ~2400+ for compiling and linking?

I want a dragster. Best Motherboard? Any brilliant ideas appreciated!

    Brian

2. portable computation time estimation?

3. Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

4. e-mail problem.

5. How to determine 32 bit and 64 bit machine

6. Rock solid: NOT if linux freezes daily in real world!

7. Compiling 64-bit code on 32-bit machine

8. Redhat 6.0 & netscape

9. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

10. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.

11. How 32 bit driver can be ported to 64 bit driver?

12. 32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle

13. 32 bit or 64 bit