FS warning

Post by Ciprian Toade » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

When I boot the system I get the following warning message:

EXT2-fs warning: mounnting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommended

And then:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
[...]
Checking root filesystem.
Parallelizing fsck version 1.10
[/sbin/fsck.ext2] fsck.ext2 -a /dev/hda6
/dev/hda6 is mounted. Do you really want to continue (y/n)?

How do I get rid of that warning? And why am I asked if I want to
continue with the checking? The other filesystems are checked
automatically if necessary.
(Note: root is on /dev/hda6)

Thanks,
Ciprian

FS warning

Post by Barney Unrea » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> When I boot the system I get the following warning message:

> EXT2-fs warning: mounnting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommended

> And then:

> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> [...]
> Checking root filesystem.
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.10
> [/sbin/fsck.ext2] fsck.ext2 -a /dev/hda6
> /dev/hda6 is mounted. Do you really want to continue (y/n)?

> How do I get rid of that warning? And why am I asked if I want to
> continue with the checking? The other filesystems are checked
> automatically if necessary.
> (Note: root is on /dev/hda6)

I'm no expert on this, but I'll try:
That first message makes no sense to me. I think /
is always mounted before being checked.  I think the
y/n question would be asked if / was mounted writable
instead of read-only as it is supposed to be, but I
don't know how that would happen.  I direct your
attention to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit or similar scripts
and /etc/inittab which controls which top-level
scripts are used.

Sounds to me like a problem that would likely go away
after a reboot, but also sounds like you've done that.
If things go real bad during mounting and checking,
it is supposed to kick you into the lowest run-level,
where you can maybe fix things.

You might want to try starting up one of your rescue
disks and fsck'ing that partition by hand (I think
while unmounted - check fsck man page or other help.)