Config file for kernel

Post by Mohammed Rezdwa » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

    Hello there,
just a small question. I've created a config file while recompiling
my 2.0.35 kernel on Red Hat Linux 5.1. I was thinking of
upgrading to Red Hat Linux 5.2. I heard that the latter version of
Red Hat Linux uses the 2.0.36 kernel. Can I still use the config
file that I've created in the previous kernel? Is there anything that
I've watch out for? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanxx!!

--
As Always,
Mohammed Rezdwan

Config file for kernel

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>     Hello there,
> just a small question. I've created a config file while recompiling
> my 2.0.35 kernel on Red Hat Linux 5.1. I was thinking of
> upgrading to Red Hat Linux 5.2. I heard that the latter version of
> Red Hat Linux uses the 2.0.36 kernel. Can I still use the config
> file that I've created in the previous kernel? Is there anything that
> I've watch out for? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanxx!!

yes, it should work fine.  when you upgrade to rh5.2, your kernel will be
replaced with the stock 2.0.36pre7 kernel that ships with rh5.2.  what you
can do, is save the linux/.config file from your custom kernel, place it in
the source tree for the new kernel, and run 'make oldconfig'.  this should
set everything up properly using your .config

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.1.126p2ac2 i586 | at public servers

Config file for kernel

Post by Frank Ha » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> just a small question. I've created a config file while recompiling
> my 2.0.35 kernel on Red Hat Linux 5.1. I was thinking of
> upgrading to Red Hat Linux 5.2. I heard that the latter version of
> Red Hat Linux uses the 2.0.36 kernel. Can I still use the config
> file that I've created in the previous kernel? Is there anything that
> I've watch out for? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanxx!!

I can't answer your question specifically, but how about printing out
a hard copy of the file.  Then you can refer back to your printout
when configuring a new kernel.

Just a thought.

--
Frank Hahn

1. .config file for kernel build

Could somebody send me the .config file for the PPC?  I have a system
that runs OK with the 130 kernel we downloaded, but I can't build a
kernel from the sources that works.  During bootup (from bootx) it
prints the line "Welcome to ..." and then hangs.  I'm sure its a
problem with not having the proper modules configured.  I don't know
the PPC hardware universe hardly at all and am not confident about
what to select and what to ignore.

Also, what is the best compiler version to use?

Thanks.

        je

2. LUG In Essex (Colchester area)

3. typical .config file for kernel compilation

4. How to check system config?

5. finding string in files

6. typical .config file for kernel compile

7. Motorola Unix memory usage checks???

8. Request for .config file for kernel 2.4.?

9. Recreate kernel .config-file for existing redhat7-kernel

10. translating kppp config files to ppp config files

11. Kernel .config file questions

12. Where is default kernel Config.in file ??