Disk Access Sequence of CC compiler

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> What are the sequence of events on executing the CC
> compiler? What are the disk access patterns on executing
> the CC compiler? Where could I get these types of information?

You could "strace" the compiler.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> What are the sequence of events on executing the CC
> compiler? What are the disk access patterns on executing
> the CC compiler? Where could I get these types of information?

You could try doing

strace -f -o logfile gcc program.c
        to get a log of all system calls in logfile, and

gcc -v program.c
        to get gcc to be more verbose.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre9 i486       | at public servers
It's the same old story; boy meets beer, boy drinks beer... boy gets
another beer.
                -- Cheers

1. 1 * vxjcLnWdi-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

I have been happily working along building my shared libraries with GCC,
using the usual: gcc -fPIC -c foo.c

Then I link it with: ld -G -h libfoo.so.1 -o libfoo.so foo.o

and everything is peachy.  Today, I tried to do the same thing with the
native compiler, using: cc -pic -c foo.c (and the same ld cmd to link)
but when I then try to link against the lib, it says it can't find any
of
the symbols (routines declared in the shared lib).  As I say, it works
fine
in gcc.

Assuming that there would be some benefit in using the native compiler,
is
there any other command line options I need to include to make the
symbols
visible?

2. setpriority PPID

3. 1 * BgyKFFrNo-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

4. Linix MultiOS Boot

5. 2 * tCTtngjxY-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

6. Gnome Under OpenBSD

7. Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

8. (no subject)

9. 1 * xuzIBiqvq-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

10. 1 * NmepTvXvo-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

11. 2 * QQLISpHcd-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

12. 2 * QpIFQClyA-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

13. CC compiler error with solaris 5.8