Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT

Post by Al De » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT

GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile
the Linux applications written in GNU gcc/g++ under Windows 95/NT.
This makes Linux even more better as development platform. You write
applications under linux and port it very easily, without changing a
single line of code to Windows NT/Windows 95. This way, Linux
applications have much larger user base in Windows NT and Windows 95.

        Title : GNU-WIN32
        Version : 18.1 B
        http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32

Go to this page and download the self-extracting executable by name -
        cdk.exe
You do not need to get anything else other than cdk.exe, if you are
doing porting only.

If you are a hacker and want to contribute to gnu-win32 project than
get cdk-src.tar.gz file.

: ------------------------------------------------------------------

: GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
: Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
: NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile

Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
software to Win* whatsoever. And here we have a tool to port it. What will
follow is: If it can run in Win* why bother running unix, ever. Being fair
to Win* in this way isn't worth much.

Zdravko.

Post by Hartmut Niema » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>: Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT
>: ------------------------------------------------------------------
>: GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
>: Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
>: NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile
>Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
>software to Win* whatsoever. And here we have a tool to port it. What will
>follow is: If it can run in Win* why bother running unix, ever. Being fair
>to Win* in this way isn't worth much.
>Zdravko.

IMHO it is more the other way around. I am going to look closer into
gnu-win32 ASAP, and it can allow me to do 'my way' (which is the gcc/bash/
tcl?/vi/grep way) even if I run NT. It allows me to do one good work
and have it run even on NT. I doubt that somebody would use this system
for NT-only software, but having it is good for all those who want to
support other OSs without learning yet another API.
have you ever missed sed when working on a PC? I have.

Hartmut.

Post by Roger Christi » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> : Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT
> : ------------------------------------------------------------------

> : GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
> : Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
> : NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile

> Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
> software to Win* whatsoever.

How the /hell/ do you figure this?
Quote:> And here we have a tool to port it. What will

Post by Jack Walk » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>: Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT
>: ------------------------------------------------------------------

>: GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
>: Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
>: NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile

>Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent

_We_ are not doing this.  Cygnus is doing it.  Its good for linux
because it helps to assure that cygnus will be able to continue as a
business and so will be around to help support gcc.  One day, when
Linux has achieved its manifest destiny of total market domination,
cygnus will be able to abandon the snivelling Windblows platform.

Jack

Quote:>software to Win* whatsoever. And here we have a tool to port it. What will
>follow is: If it can run in Win* why bother running unix, ever. Being fair
>to Win* in this way isn't worth much.

>Zdravko.

My address is corrupted to reduce spam.  If you can't
figure out my true address from the corrupted one I
don't want to receive email from you anyway.

Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT

Post by Al De » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Ooops!! There was a typo on the version number when I posted. It is
version 18.0 B instead of 18.1 B.

al dev

Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.0 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT

GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile
the Linux applications written in GNU gcc/g++, TCL/TK under
Windows 95/NT.
This makes Linux even more better as development platform. You write
applications under linux and port it very easily, WITHOUT changing a
single line of code to Windows NT/Windows 95. This way, Linux
applications have much larger user base in Windows NT and Windows 95.
It is very safe and best if you always develop applications in Linux
and it is guaranteed to work on Windows NT/95!!

        Title : GNU-WIN32
        Version : 18.1 B
        http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32

Go to this page and download the self-extracting executable by name -
        cdk.exe
You do not need to get anything else other than cdk.exe, if you are
doing porting only.

If you are a hacker and want to contribute to gnu-win32 project than
get cdk-src.tar.gz file.

Today Linux is the KING OF ALL the Operating Systems, write your
applications once in Linux and it runs everywhere on all operating
systems from - Windows 95/NT, all flavors of unix and OS/2!!

Post by Joe Bu » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
>software to Win* whatsoever.

Sorry, the GPL is about freedom: any programmer willing to make his/her
own source free can use GPL source, period, regardless of whether you
like his/her choice of operating system.
--
-- Joe Buck     http://www.synopsys.com/pubs/research/people/jbuck.html

Help stamp out Internet spam: see http://spam.abuse.net/spam/

Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT

Post by ro » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

        another dimension with:

 >>Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
 >
 >_We_ are not doing this.  Cygnus is doing it.  Its good for linux
 >because it helps to assure that cygnus will be able to continue as a
 >business and so will be around to help support gcc.  One day, when
 >Linux has achieved its manifest destiny of total market domination,
 >cygnus will be able to abandon the snivelling Windblows platform.

        Look at it this way. When some needs useful tools on a windows based
        system and finds out what the want isn't simply a drug induced fantasy,
        the toola that cygnus provides gives them with the opportunity to see
        that windows falls short of the hype. I think it's good advertising
        for unix as something other than "that hard too use os" myth that the
        microsoft constabulary has perpetrated.

drs
--
Will provide security scan of your network in
exchange for junk mail. Thorough scans for as

Post by Dave Pearso » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> : Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT
> : ------------------------------------------------------------------

> : GNU-WIN32 is a porting Tool for porting applications from Linux to
> : Windows NT and Windows 95. Porting applications from Linux to Windows
> : NT/95 is now even more easy. Use gnu-win32 as listed below to compile

> Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
> software to Win* whatsoever.

Absolute tosh! The GPL is about freedom. One of those freedoms
(perhaps the most important one?) is the freedom of access to those
tools and the freedom to use them when and where you like.

Here in my office I have two Linux boxes and a Win95 box. Thanks to
DJGPP (GNU C/C++ for Dos) I've got all the tools that make me
productive on mu Linux boxes also available on my Win95 box. This is
excellent, I have a portable environment in which I can work.  When I
used to use OS/2 the same was true there too.

Frankly I'm amazed that anyone would want to remove that freedom based
on the OS I'm running. (and before anyone mentions the GNU/Apple
thing, don't forget, that was a request, not a "rule" under the GPL).

Quote:> And here we have a tool to port it. What will follow is: If it can
> run in Win* why bother running unix, ever. Being fair to Win* in
> this way isn't worth much.

Being able to run the same utils under Windows is worth a lot to me.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |     w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |  ng2html - The NG to HTML converter.

Post by Jon Martin Solaa » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
> software to Win* whatsoever. And here we have a tool to port it.

Wow. That would contradict the GPL spirit, in my opinion. See below.

Quote:> What will
> follow is: If it can run in Win* why bother running unix, ever.

And what's the problem with that? Reality is that Win won't run all
unix software nicely (and vice versa), so just relax.

Quote:> Being fair
> to Win* in this way isn't worth much.

Porting GNU development tools to Win is an act of solidarity with Win
developers, as I see it, and thus in the right GPL spirit. Remember,
some developers also need a large market, and most users aren't
capable of handling a Unix systems (most of them are commercial too,
so I don't see the big difference here ...). The more platforms GNU
software support, the more freedom users get.

Seems like you are afraid Win/Bill will gain some sort of world
domination here, but you aren't willing to give up one tiny piece of
code to the other side yourself.

When FSF discouraged Apple-ports it was because of their (Apples)
stupid lawsuits. Now Apple is an active contributor to the Linux
community.

I just don't see any sense in your extreme views, but feel free to
have them anyway ...

--
Jon Martin Solaas

Post by Larry Blanchar » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: _We_ are not doing this.  Cygnus is doing it.  Its good for linux
: because it helps to assure that cygnus will be able to continue as a
: business and so will be around to help support gcc.  One day, when
: Linux has achieved its manifest destiny of total market domination,
: cygnus will be able to abandon the snivelling Windblows platform.

The reference to "Windblows" reminds me of the derivation of the word
"window" I saw somewhere. It was apparently originally "wind hole".  This
should allow some new derogatory names for Windows, should anyone care to
think of them :-).

--
Larry Blanchard
Old roses, old motorcycles, old trains, and just plain old:)

Post by Al De » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>         another dimension with:

>  >>Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent

> > Why are we doing this? Instead, GPL should prevent porting of any decent
> > software to Win* whatsoever. And here we have a tool to port it.

In the future only ONE operating system will be most widely used -
that is LINUX!!
Porting tools like gnu-win32 will help propagate further the LINUX OS
thru out the world. Ultimately LINUX will become the KING of the
operating systems!!