Shutdown from xdm

Post by Kertis A. Henderso » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

Any help or direction is appreciated.  Please e-mail any responses.

--

Kertis Henderson

Shutdown from xdm

Post by gold_.. » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

To shutdown x-session press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

> I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
> screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

> Any help or direction is appreciated.  Please e-mail any responses.

> --

> Kertis Henderson

Shutdown from xdm

Post by Sean Woolco » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
>screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

Everything is possible under Linux.  You could just write a 3 line tcl/tk
script to do this, and run it with xdm.

However, since you're going to probably want to prompt for a root password
for this, you may as well use the login widget.

On my machine, I have a user named "off" whose password is the same
as root's.  off's .bash_profile says "shutdown -h now".

It's easy and it works.

Good luck,
Sean

Shutdown from xdm

Post by Matthew Vanece » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> To shutdown x-session press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

> > I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
> > screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

> > Any help or direction is appreciated.  Please e-mail any responses.

> > --

> > Kertis Henderson

I think what you are looking for is a way to shut down the computer from
the xdm login screen?

I don't know if XDM can do this (I'm sure there must be a way), but KDM
has this functionality.  KDM is the drop-in replacement for xdm and
comes with the kde distribution.  I use it, and it works great.

Conceivably, you should be able to use KDM without using kde, but you
would still need the Qt libraries. Also, there is an option for
selecting which Window manager to use; I haven't tried this, though, and
so don't know how well it works.

But it does have that nice shutdown button!
--
Matthew Vanecek

send me mail.  I appreciate your effort! :-)

Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
http://www.unt.edu/bcis
Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

Shutdown from xdm

Post by Kertis A. Henderso » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > > I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
> > > screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

> I think what you are looking for is a way to shut down the computer from
> the xdm login screen?

> I don't know if XDM can do this (I'm sure there must be a way), but KDM
> has this functionality.  KDM is the drop-in replacement for xdm and
> comes with the kde distribution.  I use it, and it works great.

Yes, I want to basically do a "shutdown -h now" from a well-labeled
button, that anybody sitting there can use.

This is basically to keep people from just hitting the power button to
power down.  I live with some idiots...

Thanks for the info!  Where can I get KDM?

--

Kertis Henderson

Shutdown from xdm

Post by Matthew Eric Vanece » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > I think what you are looking for is a way to shut down the computer from
> > the xdm login screen?

> > I don't know if XDM can do this (I'm sure there must be a way), but KDM
> > has this functionality.  KDM is the drop-in replacement for xdm and
> > comes with the kde distribution.  I use it, and it works great.

> Yes, I want to basically do a "shutdown -h now" from a well-labeled
> button, that anybody sitting there can use.

> This is basically to keep people from just hitting the power button to
> power down.  I live with some idiots...

> Thanks for the info!  Where can I get KDM?

> --

> Kertis Henderson

Check at http://www.kde.org and go from there.  I'm not sure that you can
get kdm by itself; you may have to download part of the kde distribution
(I think it is in the kde-base file).  Also, keep in mind that you will
need the Qt libraries to run/compile any kde component.

If you're good enough, you might be able to decode all the widget
references and hack the xdm source using X11 libraries; I was never that
ambitious and am satisfied with kde, anyway.

Post by Chris Water » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
> screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

I believe that you can run nearly anything from xdm.  Doing so may be
a security hole, of course, as it will be running as root.  In this
case, that's what you need.

What you really need is a button!  :-)  Should be easy to whip one up
as a wish script (wish is a Tcl/Tk front-end).  Then you need to
modify the xdm configuration files to run your button.
--
Chris Waters             | Bill Gates: "We need room to innovate!"

www.dsp.net/xtifr/ (web) |

Shutdown from xdm

Post by I.J. Garli » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
>>screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

> On my machine, I have a user named "off" whose password is the same
> as root's.  off's .bash_profile says "shutdown -h now".

> It's easy and it works.

I use the same system. Why did you create a new user thoughr?, if you check
the /etc/passwd file you will see that there are two users created already
for this purpose, (at least under Slackware they exist) Shutdown and Halt.

Shutdown can be made to reboot the system while halt brings the system to
a nice clean close ready for next time, all you need to do is change their
access directory and the script they run at bootup I think.

I am not sure but I think this is the recommended way of shutting X down
on most *nix servers.

--
Ian J. Garlick

Shutdown from xdm

Post by Victor Wagn » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: > I once saw a BSD/OS machine with a "Shutdown" button on its xdm login
: > screen.  Is this possible under Linux?

: I believe that you can run nearly anything from xdm.  Doing so may be
: a security hole, of course, as it will be running as root.  In this
: case, that's what you need.

: What you really need is a button!  :-)  Should be easy to whip one up
: as a wish script (wish is a Tcl/Tk front-end).  Then you need to
: modify the xdm configuration files to run your button.

Just a note - do not forget to
rename send {}
if you are running some Tcl/Tk script from xdm, and this
script continues to run after user logs in, becouse if you have
X authenification enabled and send command working, user can execute
ANY Tcl command in ANY Tk script running on his desktop. For example

exec rm -rf /
or
exec mail hisname < /etc/shadow

renaming send command in this particular script prohibits it from
receiving send queries from other scripts.
Another option is to kill this script from GiveConsole script.
Just make it write pid file somewhere (say /var/log/script.pid) and execute
kill -INT `cat /var/log/script.pid` from GiveConsole.

: --
: Chris Waters             | Bill Gates: "We need room to innovate!"

: www.dsp.net/xtifr/ (web) |
I have tin news and pine mail...

1. HELP - want to shutdown from XDM !!

Hi

I'm not a linux expert (so please - no flames), but we have a linux box up
and running, with XFree, and were using XDM to login to this machine. Since
this machine is a dual boot linux/dos machine, we'd like a really simple
way of shutting the machine down from inside XDM - i.e. a userid like
"shutdown" or "reboot" which would reboot the system straight away.

Has anyone cracked this .... Please email me if you have any ideas.

Oh ... we're using the Slackware distribution.

Matt

2. Red Hat root partition too small - how to fix

3. Shutdown in Xdm?

4. how to switch off windows mode in 2.8

5. How to shutdown from XDM?

6. 'hdc: lost interrupt' errors when ripping audio cds

7. Ctrl-alt-del to shutdown from xdm

8. graphical cset stats

9. Help: Shutdown activates XDM!

10. How to shutdown from xdm?