Serial port/modem port

Post by Art S. Kage » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

I recently installed RH6.2 over RH5.2 and cannot access the internal modem
on the box.  It used to be /dev/cua2 (COM3 in DOS/WinDoze) now the OS wants
to link /dev/modem to one of the new S devices but none of them work nor do
the old cua devices.  I will call RH when and if I get some time but thought
I am as likely to get help from someone here.  Please save me from having to
boot to Win98 to get my email at home.  Any takers?

Art S. Kagel

Serial port/modem port

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 01 May 2000 14:49:03 -0400, Art S. Kagel

Quote:>I recently installed RH6.2 over RH5.2 and cannot access the internal modem
>on the box.  It used to be /dev/cua2 (COM3 in DOS/WinDoze) now the OS wants
>to link /dev/modem to one of the new S devices but none of them work nor do
>the old cua devices.  I will call RH when and if I get some time but thought
>I am as likely to get help from someone here.  Please save me from having to
>boot to Win98 to get my email at home.  Any takers?

COM3 is ttyS2.

Read the man page for "setserial" and see if you can get useful info from
that.  I assume the modem was working correctly in RH 5.2; how did you set
it up then?  However you did it before, I'll bet a similar procedure would
work this time...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

Serial port/modem port

Post by Art S. Kage » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

> On Mon, 01 May 2000 14:49:03 -0400, Art S. Kagel

> >I recently installed RH6.2 over RH5.2 and cannot access the internal modem
> >on the box.  It used to be /dev/cua2 (COM3 in DOS/WinDoze) now the OS wants
> >to link /dev/modem to one of the new S devices but none of them work nor do
> >the old cua devices.  I will call RH when and if I get some time but thought
> >I am as likely to get help from someone here.  Please save me from having to
> >boot to Win98 to get my email at home.  Any takers?

> COM3 is ttyS2.

> Read the man page for "setserial" and see if you can get useful info from
> that.  I assume the modem was working correctly in RH 5.2; how did you set
> it up then?  However you did it before, I'll bet a similar procedure would
> work this time...

Thanks.  The modem worked fine in RH5.2 and also in WinDoze3.1 and 98
after the installation I ran the RH admin tool to see if there were any
new config options I could take advantage of and noticed the new port
scheme and selected ttyS2 but zilch.  I just booted to WinDoze last night
and checked the modem setup and saw that I moved the modem to COM4 at some
point and have forgotten (he sheepishly admits).  I did try to link /dev/modem
to /dev/ttyS3 manually with no luck but maybe I have to use
setserial or use the admin tool.  I will try configuring to ttyS3 when I
can wrest the machine from my kids again.  Thanks for replying.

Art S. Kagel