How does redhat do it (turn off the computer on shutdown)

How does redhat do it (turn off the computer on shutdown)

Post by C. P. Weidli » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:02:22

Hi,

When I use a kernel supplied on the cdrom of redhat, and I shutdown,
the power goes off on the computer.  When I build my own kernel and
run that, the machine goes exits linux and goes in to some state where
it doesn't reboot, but it doesn't turn off.  What does redhat do?

Post by David Dorwar » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:27:59

> Hi,

> When I use a kernel supplied on the cdrom of redhat, and I shutdown,
> the power goes off on the computer.  When I build my own kernel and
> run that, the machine goes exits linux and goes in to some state where
> it doesn't reboot, but it doesn't turn off.  What does redhat do?

It probably uses ACPI.

In my /proc/config

CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/

Post by bd » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:31:04

> Hi,

> When I use a kernel supplied on the cdrom of redhat, and I shutdown,
> the power goes off on the computer.  When I build my own kernel and
> run that, the machine goes exits linux and goes in to some state where
> it doesn't reboot, but it doesn't turn off.  What does redhat do?

You need to add ACPI support, I think.

--
Freenet distribution not available
Is it NOUVELLE CUISINE when 3 olives are struggling with a scallop in a

Post by Vwake » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:03:23

 >When I use a kernel supplied on the cdrom of redhat, and I shutdown,
 >the power goes off on the computer.  When I build my own kernel and
 >run that, the machine goes exits linux and goes in to some state where
 >it doesn't reboot, but it doesn't turn off.  What does redhat do?

Or you can send 'apm=power_off' as a kernel boot parameter. Try it and
see if it works for you.

How does redhat do it (turn off the computer on shutdown)

Post by C. P. Weidli » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:46:24

Quote:> Hi,

> When I use a kernel supplied on the cdrom of redhat, and I shutdown,
> the power goes off on the computer.  When I build my own kernel and
> run that, the machine goes exits linux and goes in to some state where
> it doesn't reboot, but it doesn't turn off.  What does redhat do?

Thanks to the people who responded.  Building a kernel with acpi enabled
did the trick.

1. Turning off Computer: How long should I let it run doing nothing?

I often don't use my computer for days at a time. I turn the power to the
monitor off to preserve the filament, but leave the rest of the computer
on because someone once told me that the main cause of disk failures is
the thermal cycling caused by the turning on and off. Does anyone know
whether I'm likely to have more failures by turning the thing off or by
leaving it on?

        Joe Mack

2. benefits of new libc-5.4.x

3. Turn off Linux like Dos

4. Solaris startup files (?? .Xdefaults, .xinitrc)

6. Packard Bell ans X-windows

7. monitor turns off after shutdown X

8. how many modems in Linux?

9. HELP:Automatic turn off at shutdown

10. shutdown does not turn power off to the machine?

11. turning off auto-monitor shutdown?

12. Can Linux turn off my computer?

13. How to turn off computer?