Duplex printing

Post by James Hammerto » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I recently discovered that the departmental printer (an HP
laserjet8000) supports duplex (double sided) printing. However I don't
know how to access this facility from within linux (and haven't got
much joy by asking the linux users in the department on this front
either). Can anyone help?

James

--
James Hammerton, Department of Computer Science, University College Dublin
             WWW Pages: http://www.cs.ucd.ie/staff/jhammerton/

Duplex printing

Post by Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[Snip...]

|> know how to access this facility from within linux (and haven't got
|> much joy by asking the linux users in the department on this front
|> either).

Perhaps because Linux itself doesn't care whether you print duplex or not?   :)

Kinda like asking a mechanic to redecorate your kitchen.   :)

|> Can anyone help?

[Snip...]

You can, by letting us know if this printer has a Postscript emulation mode
*and* you can use it for this particular task in this mode. Postscript will
allow duplex *on duplex enabled printers* with

%%BeginFeature:*Duplex
<</Duplex true>>setpagedevice        % 0 BeginPage
%%EndFeature

at the beginning of the print stream going to the printer.

I know you mentioned HP laserjet8000 but I haven't got the time to check it
for Postscript emulation, nor your ability to use that mode, if available.

HTH.

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

Duplex printing

Post by Bill Delphenic » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I recently discovered that the departmental printer (an HP
> laserjet8000) supports duplex (double sided) printing. However I don't
> know how to access this facility from within linux (and haven't got
> much joy by asking the linux users in the department on this front
> either). Can anyone help?

> James

> --
> James Hammerton, Department of Computer Science, University College Dublin
>              WWW Pages: http://www.cs.ucd.ie/staff/jhammerton/
>                         http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~james

I am printing to an HP 8000 using the "HP LaserJet III with duplex
capability" as the filter in printtool. It works fine for me. I am using
ghostscript 5.10 that comes with RH 6.1.

HTH.

Duplex printing

Post by James Hammerto » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I recently discovered that the departmental printer (an HP
> > laserjet8000) supports duplex (double sided) printing. However I don't
> > know how to access this facility from within linux (and haven't got
> > much joy by asking the linux users in the department on this front
> > either). Can anyone help?

> > James

> > --
> > James Hammerton, Department of Computer Science, University College Dublin
> >              WWW Pages: http://www.cs.ucd.ie/staff/jhammerton/
> >                         http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~james

> I am printing to an HP 8000 using the "HP LaserJet III with duplex
> capability" as the filter in printtool. It works fine for me. I am using
> ghostscript 5.10 that comes with RH 6.1.

Well this has worked, except that the resolution supported by the
filter is only 300x300, where previously I could do 600x600.

James

--

Post by Timothy J. L » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

|I recently discovered that the departmental printer (an HP
|laserjet8000) supports duplex (double sided) printing. However I don't
|know how to access this facility from within linux (and haven't got
|much joy by asking the linux users in the department on this front
|either). Can anyone help?

Somewhere on HP's web site are the PCL and Postscript commands
needed to make this printer do duplex (you may need to write a
print filter that check to see if a file is Postscript or not
in order to put the correct duplexing commands in it before
sending it to the printer).

But really, the printer should have duplexing on by default to
make things nicer for the users (easier to deal with duplexed
printouts) and save paper (money).  Only in the rare case of
printing things like labels is non-duplex preferable.

Duplex printing

Post by Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[Snip...]

|> But really, the printer should have duplexing on by default to
|> make things nicer for the users (easier to deal with duplexed
|> printouts) and save paper (money).  Only in the rare case of
|> printing things like labels is non-duplex preferable.

[Snip...]

In general I agree, but rumors persist among some printer maintenance
folks that most lasers deteriorate more quickly in a perpetual duplex
mode. This is based on the mechanical sheet feed reversal needed with
most (all?) laser duplex, as well as an elevated thermal duty cycle.

However, I don't have substantial sources supporting this notion.

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

1. duplex printing with LPRng/IFHP over Samba

Hi all,

I have a working configuration of LPRng/IFHP on a Red Hat 8.0 print server,
with one simplex queue and one duplex queue. When sending local [PostScript]
jobs to either queue, duplexing/simplexing works just fine. However, when I
share the queues over Samba to Windows clients (theoretically configured to
use PostScript, but IFHP logs seem to think they're delivering PJL?) and
print to either queue, the output from the printer depends on the client
driver settings.

Is there any server-side way of guaranteeing that a print-out will be
duplexed or 'simplexed' [eg. some special filter]?

Thanks for your time!!

Luke

2. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

3. Duplex Printing Using Lpr

4. activating middle mouse button

5. duplex printing with lp or lpr

6. boot from external hd?

7. Duplex printing from Solaris 2.4-2.5?

8. Probleme mit 3DLabs Permedia 2v (onboard) / Problems with 3DLabs Permedia 2v (onboard)

9. cups: Duplex printing with odd # pages

10. Solved problem with Kyocera FS-C5030N and duplex printing with color

11. Duplex printing with Solaris

12. duplex printing

13. Duplex Printing Question