Power-off on shutdown?

Post by Andrei Zmievsk » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

By default, RedHat powered off the computer on the shutdown command. I
upgraded to 2.2.15 kernel, and now the shutdown doesn't end up in the
power-off. I've enabled APMS, but it didn't help. Is there a kernel
option I need to turn on or something else?

-Andrei

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Power-off on shutdown?

Post by J Bla » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>By default, RedHat powered off the computer on the shutdown command. I
>upgraded to 2.2.15 kernel, and now the shutdown doesn't end up in the
>power-off. I've enabled APMS, but it didn't help. Is there a kernel
>option I need to turn on or something else?

When configuring kernel, enable APM support and then enable Power Off on
SHutdown option with the APM settings.

Works fine here.

JB

Power-off on shutdown?

Post by Andrei Zmievsk » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> When configuring kernel, enable APM support and then enable Power Off
on
> SHutdown option with the APM settings.

Is "Power Off on Shutdown" a kernel configuration option or linuxconf or

Post by Chris MacKenzi » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > When configuring kernel, enable APM support and then enable Power Off
> > on SHutdown option with the APM settings.

> Is "Power Off on Shutdown" a kernel configuration option or linuxconf or
> something else?

If you use RedHat with the default kernel from the CD then APM should
already be compiled in.
Note: SMP machines cannot use APM with Linux.

--
Rgds,
Chris MacKenzie

Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell
                for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating
                system originally coded for a 4 bit
                microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company
                that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Power-off on shutdown?

Post by Andrei Zmievsk » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> If you use RedHat with the default kernel from the CD then APM should
> already be compiled in.
> Note: SMP machines cannot use APM with Linux.

Umm, thanks, but if you read the original message, I said that I
compiled the new kernel. Hence, the power-off on shutdown stopped
working.

-Andrei

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

Hi,

I  am using  an SMP  machine  (Tyan 1836  dual uprocessors).  Previous
versions of  RH allowed me  to power-off the machine  during shutdown,
but  I  am  not  able  to  shutoff the  power  using  RH  7.2.   Tried
recompiling the kernel,  etc.  Has anyone gotten power-off  to work on
an SMP?  I would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

marc

--

2. Porting IXI Motif applications on Solaris 2.4 to CDE

3. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

4. X-Windows administration

5. Can power-off call shutdown ?

6. Netscape Mail Client

7. Power-off after shutdown under Linux

8. DOOM sound PWADs don't work

9. Automatic power-off of an RS/6000 following issuance of "shutdown" command

10. Propper shutdown on power-off

11. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

12. System power-off on shutdown, 2.4.1?

13. Auto power-off with halt or shutdown?