using Linux+PPP instead of Compuserve′s Internet Dialer ?

using Linux+PPP instead of Compuserve′s Internet Dialer ?

Post by Fabian Jasins » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
does anyone know whether it is possible to connect to Compuserves
PPP account via Linux ?
I mean they offer a real PPP connection so the only problem should be
to tell Compuserve at dial-up to start the PPP connection. Are there
any scripts (e.g. for DIP) available?

Thanks in advance

--

Post by ind » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>does anyone know whether it is possible to connect to Compuserves
>PPP account via Linux ?
>I mean they offer a real PPP connection so the only problem should be
>to tell Compuserve at dial-up to start the PPP connection. Are there
>any scripts (e.g. for DIP) available?

Sure ... it's no harder than connecting to any other ISP. There is a
document in the linux section of the unix forum no compuserve that
explains what the script and other stuff should look like. That should
help ... mail me if you can't figure it out.

charlie
-- companion to our demons, they will dance and we will play --

Post by edham.. » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>  Hi,
>  does anyone know whether it is possible to connect to Compuserves
>  PPP account via Linux ?
>  I mean they offer a real PPP connection so the only problem should be
>  to tell Compuserve at dial-up to start the PPP connection. Are there
>  any scripts (e.g. for DIP) available?

>  Thanks in advance

>  --

I came accross a document (on CIS, I think) that described how to set up Trumpet Winsock to access
Compuserve' s PPP offering. I'll see if I can find it and pass the info on.

Post by lblan.. » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>does anyone know whether it is possible to connect to Compuserves
>PPP account via Linux ?
>I mean they offer a real PPP connection so the only problem should be
>to tell Compuserve at dial-up to start the PPP connection. Are there
>any scripts (e.g. for DIP) available?

Yes, it is possible, but it did not yield satisfactory results for
me...  Maybe you'll have better luck.

The one stumbling block I found was that you can't log in the way the
CompuServe docs say -- e.g. "100626,323:go pppconnect".  You'll have
to log in with your user ID and then your password, and then enter 'go
pppconnect' at the ! prompt.  Like I said, it's not what the docs say,
but it's the only way I could do it...  (I couldn't get dip to send a
":")

As to the script, I modified a sample script that I found in /etc/ppp
or something like that...  That was in Slackware 2.0.  I dunno what
you're running.

Good luck
Ethan

1. using Linux+PPP instead of Compuserve′s Internet Dialer ?

Hi,
does anyone know whether it is possible to connect to Compuserves
PPP account via Linux ?
I mean they offer a real PPP connection so the only problem should be
to tell Compuserve at dial-up to start the PPP connection. Are there
any scripts (e.g. for DIP) available?

Thanks in advance

--

2. FreeBSD Applixware for OpenBSD

3. @Home Firewall Question

4. LINUX DIP-Script for Compuserve Internet-PPP WANTED

5. login scripts

6. Linux DIP-Script for Compuserve Internet PPP WANTED

7. kpackage in kde 2.2 broken

8. Linux DIP Script for Compuserve Internet PPP WANTED

9. Connecting to Compuserve's PPP using Linux

10. Sending mail using CompuServe as ISP to other CompuServe addresses

11. PPP config for internet (compuserve) ?

12. Using Linux as a gateway to the internet (using ppp) for win95