Networking Win95 and Linux

Post by S.Sharp » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I know I've seen somewhere an info sheet or something about networking a
Windows95 machine with a Linux machine.  Has anyone else seen this?
Where to look??  I have the Linux Bible and all the How-to's in it, am I
overlooking it?? I remember something specifically mentioning Windows95
and not the general network setup.

Sarah Sharpe

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no art which one government sooner learns than that of
draining money from the
pockets of its people."

1. network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

I have a problem: when I try to add my Win95 laptop to my Linux/Windows 95
LAN the network freezes!

Let me describe the situation:

'Old situation' - working fine:
-------------------------------
I have a simple network with one Redhat 5.0 Linux server & one Windows 95
machine. The linux machine acts as a fileserver, running Samba, the Windos
59 machine (4.0.0.950B) is my regular 'workstation', with IPX/SPX, Netbeui
and TCP/IP installed. I use 10MB NIC's connected by a simple 5 port hub
(10MB). I can ping from/to both machines and access files, run a linux
webserver (apache, great!) etc. No problem at all, until....

'New situation' - not working  :-(
----------------------------------
I want to connect my laptop to the network. I use a 10/100MB Dynalink L100C
PCMCIA card (configured to run at 10MB). The laptop as also a Windows 95
machine (4.0.0.950B), same drivers etc. as the other windows95 machines,
except for the IP address of course. All IP addresses are static in the
192.168.42.xx range, netmask 255.255.255.0.

When the problems start:
------------------------
Now what's happening? Suppose I am running my network as usual: one Linux
server, one windows 95 machine. All working fine. I start pinging the
windows 95 machine from the Linux machine for a unlimited period to
demonstrate what's happening. Then I  boot the Compaq 1220 laptop (connected
to the hub). The pinging between Linux and the workstation continues, but as
soon as the LINK led on the laptop's PCMCIA card flashes on, the pinging
from Linux to the workstation stops. If I try to ping form the workstation
to Linux I receive a 'Request timed out' message.

I now can not ping any machine from Linux, nor the Linux machine from any
windows 95 machine any more. However, I CAN ping between the two Windows 95
machines. If I then physically disconnect the STP cable connecting the
laptop to the hub, the pinging from Linux to the Windows95 workstation
continues as if nothing happened!

I don't know too much about networking, but I tried to examin the network
with Netstat. It does not report any hard errors.

PS: If I use the combination laptop + Linux only (without the 'windows95
workstation'), everything works fine too (so I think the laptop should be
configured properly). Also, the name to IP translation (via hosts file) is
ok.

This is a very nasty situation, since I lose contact with my fileserver as
soon as the laptop joins the network.

Can anybody help me (I hope I gave enough info)?

2. Intel Desktop Board Compatibility: D915GAV

3. can't see Win95 shares through Linux to Win95 network

4. Starting X Windows

5. Files for installing a networked NeXT laser printer under Win95 (Was: Black Next 2.2 + Linux != networking?)

6. socket connect problem on RH6.0

7. NEWBE - Trying to install network card in Linux on win95 network

8. how to register my host in my DNS server ?

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt

11. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

12. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

13. Linux & Win95 Network - HELP!