How to merge text files?

Post by Larry Daz » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to merge two text files in unix.
I have two files: FILE1 FILE2
I want to append line one of FILE2 to the end of line one in FILE1, and
do the same for each line of the file.

Does anyone know what unix utility I would use to do this, and what
commands would be needed?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Larry Daze

How to merge text files?

Post by willi.. » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: I am trying to merge two text files in unix.
: I have two files: FILE1 FILE2
: I want to append line one of FILE2 to the end of line one in FILE1, and
: do the same for each line of the file.

: Does anyone know what unix utility I would use to do this, and what
: commands would be needed?

Yes, I believe paste will do what you want.  Check out the man page
for options.

--
           /   AIX     | James Williams

PA_RISC __\ \  Sco     |
  Sparc \ \\// OSF     | Change the net.sky to sky.net in the return
PowerPC  \///  Linux   | address to reply
 RS6000  ///\  FreeBSD |
  Alpha //\\_\ Ultrix  |
   MIPS  \ \   Xenix   |
MC68000   \/   Solaris |
          /    HPUX    |

How to merge text files?

Post by Bart De Scheppe » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to merge two text files in unix.
> I have two files: FILE1 FILE2
> I want to append line one of FILE2 to the end of line one in FILE1, and
> do the same for each line of the file.

> Does anyone know what unix utility I would use to do this, and what
> commands would be needed?

The command name is: paste
"man paste" for more info.

--
Bart De Schepper

[the E-mail address is fake to protect against unwanted commercial mail]
Outdated web-page: http://iris.elis.rug.ac.be/~bds/

How to merge text files?

Post by Dave Lad » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I don't think this is what he had in mind.
--

> > I am trying to merge two text files in unix.
> > I have two files: FILE1 FILE2
> > I want to append line one of FILE2 to the end
> of line one in FILE1, and
> > do the same for each line of the file.

> > Does anyone know what unix utility I would use
> to do this, and what
> > commands would be needed?

> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > Larry Daze

> cat file1 file2 > file3

> That should do the trick so long as they are
> text files, not
> postscript or some other special format.

> Good luck.
> --

>  http://netnet.net/~vpetinga

How to merge text files?

Post by j.. » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to merge two text files in unix.  I have two files: FILE1
> FILE2 I want to append line one of FILE2 to the end of line one in FILE1,
> and do the same for each line of the file.

man paste.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

How to merge text files?

Post by buck » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to merge two text files in unix.
> I have two files: FILE1 FILE2
> I want to append line one of FILE2 to the end of line one in FILE1, and
> do the same for each line of the file.

> Does anyone know what unix utility I would use to do this, and what
> commands would be needed?

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Larry Daze

cat file1 file2 > file3

That should do the trick so long as they are text files, not
postscript or some other special format.

Good luck.
--

 http://netnet.net/~vpetinga

1. Looking for Text files comparing and merging utility

I'm looking into a tool that can merge two text files,
the old revision and the new revision of the files into one file.

These files are usually user specific configuration files
that must be upgraded when a new set of software is installed.

I found myself wasting a lot of time manually comparing and
merging the files and am looking into some user friendly utility
written in C, shell, perl, tcl or any other standard language that
can help me doing this job.

Thanks for any input,

Nir Baroz
--------
Nir Baroz                        Encore Computer Corporation

                                 Tel: 1-305-587-2900 Fax: 1-305-797-5807
--
Nir Baroz                        Encore Computer Corporation

                                 Tel: 1-305-587-2900 Fax: 1-305-797-5807

2. mail

3. merge text from 3 files?

4. I can't get KDE to work

5. ** Merging Two Text Files Parallel **

6. unix domain socket: connection refused

7. Merging text & decoding files on UNIX

8. PPPoE on SuSE 7 HELP!!!!

9. text file contents merge and subtraction

10. Q: Script to merge together text files

11. Merging huge text files...

12. MS-window text file viewer to read a text file in SCO server.

13. Dos Text Files to Linux Text Files