crontab entries generate error message; problem with ownership of crontab file?

crontab entries generate error message; problem with ownership of crontab file?

Post by Alan Vlac » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

For each line in my crontab file I get the following error message

        limit: coredumpsize: Can't set limit

and the entry doesn't execute.

This happens to my user account's crontab, but not to root's.  Somehow
cron doesn't understand the command 'limit coredumpsize 1000000' in
/etc/csh.cshrc under these circumstances.

I've disovered that the problem goes away if I change the owner of
/var/spool/cron/alan to alan.alan instead of root.alan but eventually
ownership reverts back to root.alan.  Presumably cron is changing
ownership for security reasons(?).  I need more documentation on how
crontab works vis-vis crontab file ownership/permission.  Everything
worked fine for months until a few weeks ago.  Some package I updated?

FWIW:  Linux 2.0.35 (Red Hat 5.1)

Thanks much,
--Alan Vlach

1. Error messages from default crontab entry - why are they there - what to do about them

Hi, everyone. The default crontabs set-up by sun have a find command -
that I've never understood, and often gives me error messages (nightly
!). Every day I get something like:

Your "cron" job

find / -name .nfs\* -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; -o -fstype nfs -prune

produced the following output:

find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle

1- What is the find for ?

2- Why the errors ? Some have been

        1- Errors from stat: - can't stat lib
        2- Under Solaris - errors from statvfs - checking for devces that
aren't there.
        3- Errors like the above.

2. how to solve problems of telnet and keymapping

3. crontab problem: I can't run a java program via crontab

4. LKCD for 2.5.40

5. fix to crontab problem ("no changes made to crontab")

6. SNAT/MASQUERADE with two uplink connections

7. crontab entries not executing; get message about coredumpsize instead

8. ASU antivirus study

9. Yacc entry for crontab , accepting negative entry how ?

10. crontab -e or crontab -l is not functioning properly

11. To crontab or NOT to crontab!!!

12. error when execute entry in crontab

13. link a crontab -> "crontab -e" remove link