Base-64 encoded MS-Word documents as mail attachments

Base-64 encoded MS-Word documents as mail attachments

Post by David Nadle » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

I'm running Linux with elm as my Mail user Agent and I've gotten
a mail message with embedded MS-Word documents. I want
to extract the MS Word files in this mail message onto an msdos
floppy so that I may bring it to a computer that runs NT and
Office Professional.

There are header lines like this:

--IMA.Boundary.232995928

which are followed by a blank line, and then some
72-column text.

I've tried to extract these files by assuming that everything
between the Content-Disposition line and the next --IMA.Boundary
line (exclusive) forms the contents of the file "xyz.doc".
I've tried both including and excluding the blank line at the
top, and either way the file still looks like gibberish when
loaded into MS Word.

Do I need to get a secret base64 decoder ring?
This ought to be easy for someone who knows what he's doing --
I guess that leaves me out.  Any tips would be appreciated,
and if possible, please e-mail as well as post replies.

Thank you kindly,
Dave Nadler

Base-64 encoded MS-Word documents as mail attachments

Post by David Nadle » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Hello:
> Do I need to get a secret base64 decoder ring?

Never mind -- I'll get the perl module LWP::Base64
from a CPAN archive.

Resolving to use search engines before posting,
David Nadler

1. converting MIME application/ms-word to a word document...

I have slackware 3.00 installed.

Someone sent me what looks to be a microsoft word file encoded using
some base 64 technique. Can someone tell me what (UNIX) tools I should
use to get this into an actual MSword file?

Thanks & sorry if this seems inappropriate for this group...

The header info at the start of the text is as follows:

2. Linux upgrade -> 2.0.21, ld.so-1.8.0 compile fails LDSO_ADDR undefined

3. Viewing MS Word document attachments in Linux

4. which shell?

5. Polite rejection of MS-Word attachments?

6. Can RedHat 5.1 install "onto"itself

7. Wanted: document converter MS-Word <-> FrameMaker

8. Help ! Apps. go black/white after loading .gif wallpaper !

9. Text-only reader for ms-word documents?

10. MS-Word Document Reader

11. MS-Word 6.0 document viewer?

12. Sending mime encoded documents as attachments using mailtool

13. Reading mime-encoded and/or Word attachments in email