What kernel are YOU using?

Post by Michael Burne » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:36:19

Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?
if so, why? =)

--
Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.

Michael

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by David Dorwar » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:10:08

Michael Burnem might have typed:

Quote:> Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?
> if so, why? =)

I've got 2.2.x on my firewall - becuase it works.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
Thinking about emailing me? Only do so if it isn't apropriate for this

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by Colin Lero » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:22:00

> Michael Burnem might have typed:

>> Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels? if so, why? =)

> I've got 2.2.x on my firewall - becuase it works.

Yep, idem, 2.2.20 on all my servers, because I don't need usb or
anything else new in 2.4 on servers :-)

--
Colin
Random BOFH excuse:

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by Daniel M. Ludwi » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:01:50

Quote:> Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?
> if so, why? =)

Yes, me. Since it works. I don't need the features of 2.4, so what
should I change my Kernel?

BTW: I know someone using still Kernel 1.x

regards

Daniel

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by dav.. » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:25:16

> Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?

Lots of peoples (me for example).

Quote:> if so, why? =)

Because the first rule of the sysadmin is:

Upgrade if and only if:
        the new version solve a problem in which you bang everytime
        you can't live without the new features
        there is a serious bug in the old version or the old version is
                such a pain in the XXX that upgrade is a good idea
Otherwise, stick with what you have!

Davide

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by Lew Pitche » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:13:35

> Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?

2.2.21 on all three of my systems, but soon to be 2.4.18 on two of those
three.

Quote:> if so, why? =)

Because, until recently, the 2.4 kernels haven't been stable enough for
me. With 2.4.18 (and soon 2.4.19) most of the stability problems that
plagued the earlier 2.4 kernels has been removed.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by Jean-David Beye » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:19:05

|>Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?
|

| 2.2.21 on all three of my systems, but soon to be 2.4.18 on two of
those
| three.
|

|>if so, why? =)
|

| Because, until recently, the 2.4 kernels haven't been stable
enough for
| me. With 2.4.18 (and soon 2.4.19) most of the stability problems that
| plagued the earlier 2.4 kernels has been removed.

2.4.18-5 on one of my machines and 2.4.18-5smp on the other.

I was running a 2.2.? kernel on both my machines before, but one
machine was running Red Hat Linux 6.0 (with some upgrades) and the
other was running VA Linux 6.2.3 (with some upgrades)(VA Linux 6.2.3
is based on R.H.L. 6.2) and they were getting too old, so I
installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 on both. These came with 2.4.18-3 on one
and 2.4.18-3smp on the other. I have had no crashes with either.
With the old ones I had no crashes with the more recent 2.2 kernels,
but the older 2.2 kernels would crash every few months (running
24/7). With the older systems, X would crash from time to time, but
I have not had that problem (new version of X comes with 7.3) since
I installed the new distribution about May 20 for the one machine
and about a week later for the other.

I also installed R.H.L.7.3 on a friend's machine a few weeks ago.
That machine was crashing so fast (in less than 5 minutes from
bootup) running Windows 95 that she thought she needed a new
machine. I ran memtest86 for 6 hours and it worked just fine, so I
tried to think of a program that would exercise the rest of the
machine and test the hard drives. So I stuck Linux on it and it
worked just fine, running 24/7. So I guess she did not have a
hardware problem. She likes Linux enough that she does not want me
to put Windows back on. That surprised me, but I am just as glad,
since I am more able to answer her questions. I do not remember all
that much about Windows other than I hate it.

The reason the up-time, below, is so little is that I turned the
machine off to replace my HP 660Cse printer with an Epson Stylus
Photo 785EPX when the HP quit last week. The Epson prints a whole
lot nicer, but it is very slow. This may be partly related to the
fact that the HP was about 300x300 and the Epson is 2880x720. I have
not yet figured how to reduce this (or if I want to). But it makes
photos look OK, where before they were unacceptable. It is not an
Iris printer, though.

- --
~  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
~  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
~ /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
~ ^^-^^ 7:00am up 7 days, 14:18, 2 users, load average: 2.16, 2.16, 2.13

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by s. keeli » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:45:19

> >>Anyone still using 2.0.x or 2.2.x kernels?

> 2.4.18-5 on one of my machines and 2.4.18-5smp on the other.

> I was running a 2.2.? kernel on both my machines before, but one
> machine was running Red Hat Linux 6.0 (with some upgrades) and the
> other was running VA Linux 6.2.3 (with some upgrades)(VA Linux 6.2.3
> is based on R.H.L. 6.2) and they were getting too old, so I

Too old?!?  You think that's a valid reason?

I upgrade when I'm forced to upgrade and when others have tested the
possible alternatives to death.  2.2.19 works fine for me.  Apply
suggested app upgrades, of course, but every new piece of software is
a trade-off of the bugs/vulnerabilities you know and those you don't
know.  Ask any Windows user to explain.

If your system is secure and you can still find out how to continue
maintaining it, why in the world would you want to change that?

[Still very happy with SuSE Personal 7.1, plus updates.]

(*)  TopQuark Software & Services.  Contract programmer, server bum.
- -             Give up Spammers; I use procmail.
How to quote: http://learn.to/quote (Ger.) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)

What kernel are YOU using?

Post by Jean-David Beye » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:44:04

| On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 07:19:05 -0400, Jean-David Beyer

|>2.4.18-5 on one of my machines and 2.4.18-5smp on the other.
|>
|>I was running a 2.2.? kernel on both my machines before, but one
|>machine was running Red Hat Linux 6.0 (with some upgrades) and the
|>other was running VA Linux 6.2.3 (with some upgrades)(VA Linux 6.2.3
|>is based on R.H.L. 6.2) and they were getting too old, so I
|

| Too old?!?  You think that's a valid reason?
|
| I upgrade when I'm forced to upgrade and when others have tested the
| possible alternatives to death.  2.2.19 works fine for me.  Apply
| suggested app upgrades, of course, but every new piece of software is
| a trade-off of the bugs/vulnerabilities you know and those you don't
| know.  Ask any Windows user to explain.
|
| If your system is secure and you can still find out how to continue
| maintaining it, why in the world would you want to change that?

I think my system is fairly secure, but were I to say it is completely
secure, I would be kidding only myself. I do have some rules in ipchains
that block a lot of crackers, but they do not block the stuff I have not
thought of. I also run tripwire, but it catches a lot of stuff that is
OK, and looking at it every day for each of my machines is really a
pain. (For example, PowerChute, the software for operating my APCC UPS
keeps its damn logfiles and configuration files somewhere in /usr/lib,
which IMAO is a mistake, so I have had to diddle the tripwire policy
file to tolerate that. Other daemons keep logs in silly places, or keep
them in a way that tripwire does not expect (using the default policy
file that comes with it), so I am slowly working through that so these
complaints stop showing up. But if I go too far, I will suppress a
complaint about a cracker attack.)

Maintaining it gets progressively more and more difficult as the
applications of rpms gets more and more messed up with inconsistent
dependencies. It gets to the point where rpms will not go in anymore
unless you override dependency checks, and I refuse to do that. So every
two years or so, I just get a new distribution. Since I use Red Hat, I
no longer get the X.0 or X.1, but try for X.2 or in this case 7.3.

I sort-of had to upgrade anyway (or would have pretty soon) because my
old parallel port printer died after 6 years and my new one was a
USB-only printer. My 2.2 kernel did not drive USB (IIRC) anyway, and I
did not want to mess around with that to patch it to the point where it
would drive USB.

| [Still very happy with SuSE Personal 7.1, plus updates.]

- --
~  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
~  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
~ /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
~ ^^-^^ 7:30am up 11 days, 14:48, 2 users, load average: 2.31, 2.28, 2.19

1. how can i see if i am using a module or compiled in kernel?

Hi,

How can i see if serial.o is being used or that i have this compiled in the
kernel?

Joeri

-

2. Two Questions From experienced Linux User

3. Problem with networking - I am using RedHat 9 Linux kernel 2.4

4. /opt -- I don't get it...

6. VMWare an higher Screenres

7. request-route goes zombie

9. Am I touchy? Or am I right?