KDE won't start if my .profile or /etc/profile has stty commands

KDE won't start if my .profile or /etc/profile has stty commands

Post by Graham Nicholl » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:47:55

.. or any other commands that write to the tty.  Its strange.  I'm
running SuSE 7.2, and I've written an istty program in C which simply
calls isattty(fd), and exits with 0 if it is a tty.  Even with this in my
.profile or /etc/profile, kde wont start (x does start).  I'm removing my
remaining hair, so hurry!

Thanks

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:32:17

> .. or any other commands that write to the tty.  Its strange.  I'm
> running SuSE 7.2, and I've written an istty program in C which simply
> calls isattty(fd), and exits with 0 if it is a tty.  Even with this in my
> .profile or /etc/profile, kde wont start (x does start).  I'm removing my
> remaining hair, so hurry!

That is strange since I didn't think X consults any profile when starting
X or a normal xterm because it is not logging into a shell (unless using
xterm -ls).  For example if I have a colored prompt in ~/.profile it does
not show up in an xterm unless I su -, telnet or ssh to such a user.  And
there have been similar posts wondering why PATH settings in ~/.profile
are not set in an xterm.

I know very little about C, but where do you get fd from and do you check
if it is valid?  What happens if it is undefined or null?

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

1. "Screen" prgram: New shells won't read /etc/profile or ~/.profile?

Whenever I start a new shell in screen it won't read /etc/profile or
~/.profile.  My xterms are okay, but not even starting the shell on
the command line works I type 'bash -login -i' and I get another
shell, but still .profile isn't read.  If I type "set", among other things,
I get ENV=/etc/ENV.  Any ideas how I might go about tracking the problem?

Thanks

-Tony

.   .   .   .  . . . . . . . . ._______________________________________.

                               |_____________|___ Southern California _|

2. Dep error. Help!

3. Telnet login doesn't run /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile

4. process text file

5. cmdtool doesn't source /.profile or /etc/profile

6. TIO*

7. ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

8. lspv and lsdev -l on solaris

9. /etc/profile or $HOME/profile

10. Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

11. /etc/profile, .bashrc, .bash_profile won't load with su to root

12. rsh xterm -ls -e command doesn't see /etc/profile

13. '/etc/profile' file permission