editor for MS windows icons

Post by Tony Steven » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am porting some unix software to MS windows so I can use it at work, and
am determined to only use freeware tools out of principle (and, well,
because
I'm cheap...).  Everything is going well (thanks to gnuwin32 from cygnus)
except
that I can't create an icon file.  I had assumed that there would be a
linux tool
I could use but, alas, neither xv nor ImageMagick seem to understand .ico
files.  Does anyone know of a tool I could use, or information about
converting
.ico files to and from other formats?

TIA,
Tony S.

editor for MS windows icons

Post by David M. Co » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>[...] Does anyone know of a tool I could use, or information about
>converting .ico files to and from other formats?

What you want is icotoxpm.  You can find it at

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/graphics/convert

Dave Cook

editor for MS windows icons

Post by Stefan Ottoss » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I am porting some unix software to MS windows so I can use it at work, and
: I
: am determined to only use freeware tools out of principle (and, well,
: because
: I'm cheap...).  Everything is going well (thanks to gnuwin32 from cygnus)
: except
: that I can't create an icon file.  I had assumed that there would be a
: linux tool
: I could use but, alas, neither xv nor ImageMagick seem to understand .ico
: files.  Does anyone know of a tool I could use, or information about
: converting
: .ico files to and from other formats?

I may be mistaken, but arent .ico files just plain .bmp files? try
renaming them to .bmp and find out.

editor for MS windows icons

Post by Victor Wagn » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I am porting some unix software to MS windows so I can use it at work, and
: I
: am determined to only use freeware tools out of principle (and, well,
: because
: I'm cheap...).  Everything is going well (thanks to gnuwin32 from cygnus)
: except
: that I can't create an icon file.  I had assumed that there would be a
: linux tool
: I could use but, alas, neither xv nor ImageMagick seem to understand .ico
: files.  Does anyone know of a tool I could use, or information about
: converting
: .ico files to and from other formats?

Use plain old netpbm.
There should be icotoppm program and may be vice versa. But really icon
format is SO simple, that you should have no troubles writing converter
yourself.

: TIA,
: Tony S.

Institute for Commerce          Office:7-(095)-333-2022
Engineering                     Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Programmer                      http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus

1. X windows vs MS-windows 3.1 (MS wins)

Hi Linuxers,

I currently tried to install Xfree windows on my Linux box..
(Kernel 1.0, slackware distribution, 386 sx 16MHZ (don't laugh)
 8 MB mem, 256K VGA card (don't laugh again), vga monitor
(not multisync) )

Using the monochrome X windows driver which requires only 64K of
video memory, I noticed that X windows were very slow compared to
MS-windows..I also had problems moving my mouse while waiting for
a window to open..Also the background screen in X windows was much
smaller than the background screen in Ms-Win...I am not a
windows fan (any kind of windows require a lot of system resources and
fast expensive hardware)..but I think X win could be better..

                                                        Regards,
                                                       Constantine

*"HELLAS=Science,Arts,Civilization,Democracy"                     *

2. ISDN between Sun and Mac

3. linux editors vs windows editors

4. kern.flp cannot boot my NEC pc98 laptop!

5. can any one suggest the editor for linux (like editor for windows...)

6. printer advice saught

7. Icons, Icon veiwer and Icon converter

8. SndBlst PC128 and RH 6.0

9. Java icon editor for Linux - new release

10. X-Based Color Icon Editor

11. cross platform output from the Icon Editor on Solaris

12. Java icon/image editor - new release

13. Icon editor