Linux + pppd

Post by Lord Pe » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I am rather new at linux(and unix in general), and I just installed it
on my computer.
I am having trouble setting up a ppp connection over modem.  I can get
the modem to dial the ISP and connect, but then it gets stuck, and I
can't tell where it does get stuck.  I have looked under /usr/adm/syslog
and /etc/ppp/connect-errors.  Are there any more logs, or a way to tell
the chat script to step through?

If you need to know, I am running slackware with a 2.0.29 kernel.

Oh, yeah.  I don't have much time to get online, so please respond by
e-mail if possible.
--
Don Barber
aka Lord Pez

http://area51.home.ml.org

Linux + pppd

Post by wals » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I am rather new at linux(and unix in general), and I just installed it
> on my computer.
> I am having trouble setting up a ppp connection over modem.  I can get
> the modem to dial the ISP and connect, but then it gets stuck, and I
> can't tell where it does get stuck.  I have looked under /usr/adm/syslog
> and /etc/ppp/connect-errors.  Are there any more logs, or a way to tell
> the chat script to step through?

> If you need to know, I am running slackware with a 2.0.29 kernel.

> Oh, yeah.  I don't have much time to get online, so please respond by
> e-mail if possible.
> --
> Don Barber
> aka Lord Pez

> http://area51.home.ml.org

I posted a reply earlier but it seems to have got lost so here goes
again. Use minicom comms package to open the connect. Log on to your
ISP. Then leave minicom without resetting:  ctrl_a  q. The do pppd & or
whatever you normally do to launch pppd. Test if you are surfactive by
doing ifconfig  and route -n and perhaps a ping.
Good luck

Bob Walsh

Linux + pppd

Post by M Predd » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The ppp HOW-TO will step you through this and show you how to output
step-by-step logging to the console.  However, the HOW-TO chat script
did not work for me but I found one that finally did.  Now that it
works, establishing ppp with my ISP is faster and more reliable than it
was under 95 or NT.  Email me if you need more info.

Mark

> I am rather new at linux(and unix in general), and I just installed it
> on my computer.
> I am having trouble setting up a ppp connection over modem.  I can get
> the modem to dial the ISP and connect, but then it gets stuck, and I
> can't tell where it does get stuck.  I have looked under /usr/adm/syslog
> and /etc/ppp/connect-errors.  Are there any more logs, or a way to tell
> the chat script to step through?

> If you need to know, I am running slackware with a 2.0.29 kernel.

> Oh, yeah.  I don't have much time to get online, so please respond by
> e-mail if possible.
> --
> Don Barber
> aka Lord Pez

> http://area51.home.ml.org

Linux + pppd

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I am rather new at linux(and unix in general), and I just installed it
>on my computer.
>I am having trouble setting up a ppp connection over modem.  I can get
>the modem to dial the ISP and connect, but then it gets stuck, and I
>can't tell where it does get stuck.  I have looked under /usr/adm/syslog
>and /etc/ppp/connect-errors.  Are there any more logs, or a way to tell
>the chat script to step through?

>If you need to know, I am running slackware with a 2.0.29 kernel.

>Oh, yeah.  I don't have much time to get online, so please respond by
>e-mail if possible.
>--
>Don Barber
>aka Lord Pez

>http://area51.home.ml.org

I sent separate e-mail explaining what I did to login to CompuServe
PPP with Slackware 96 (3.1?) and kernel 2.0.30.  I simply copied
ppp-on to ppp-cis and ppp-on-dialer to ppp-cis-dialer and made
appropriate changes to these files for CIS PPP.

I use my normal ISP for ppp-on and auto ppp using /sbin/request-route.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

1. Isp changed login Linux pppd can't connect WIN95 does

My ISP changed something with their ppp setup lately.  I first noticed from
debugging output that they were apparently requiring chap, and so I
configured
this -- apparently successfully.  Now my  pppd seems to be unable to get
a remote address from what I believe is their NT server.  My pppd sends
something
like <0.0.0.0><211.113.176.111>.  The server then sends back <0.0.0.0> in
reply
to repeated requests for the remote address, after which my pppd decides to
give
up.  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. cpio in sco unix

3. how do work chap for linux pppd?

4. HP4500 print driver

5. Corel Linux - pppd daemon died unexpectedly

6. How to unload cdrom

7. linux pppd errors

8. WP60 - Can't run license manager, bad hostname.

9. Linux pppd daemon help - ppplog (0/1)

10. BT SurfTime from Linux - pppd problem

11. trumpret winscok not working with linux pppd

12. Linux, PPPD, and Netcom problem - help !!!!

13. Linux pppd to trumpet windoze