need help w/anon ftp access to DOS partition

need help w/anon ftp access to DOS partition

Post by Paul Robins » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to allow anonymous ftp to have access to some parts of my DOS partition. I am using symbolic
links to establish which areas are available for read rights. All works well for anyone but anonymous ftp
users who recieve the message "directory [file] does not exist." I have gone as far as to open relevent
files rwxrwxrwx but to no avail. The core of the problem may be in that I cannot change the partition
itself to allow anyone but the root group to have access. ie: "chgrp wheel dosd/" replys: operation not
permited.

thanks .......Paul

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to allow anonymous ftp to have access to some parts of my DOS partition. I am using symbolic
>links to establish which areas are available for read rights. All works well for anyone but anonymous ftp
>users who recieve the message "directory [file] does not exist." I have gone as far as to open relevent
>files rwxrwxrwx but to no avail.

This is *not* a Linux question - it's probably in the Unix FAQ.

Anon-FTP runs under chroot().

All references to / actually refer to /home/ftp/

If you create a symlink to /dosc/foo/bar then anon-FTP users will in
fact be looking at /home/ftp/dosc/foo/bar.

To solve this either:

  1) don't run anon-ftp under chroot() (I can't recall how - RTFM).

or

  2) mount the dos partion at /home/ftp/dosc

or

  3) (If you only want users to be able to access some directories).
NFS export /dosc and re-import bits of it below /home/ftp

Quote:> The core of the problem may be in that I cannot change the partition
>itself to allow anyone but the root group to have access. ie: "chgrp wheel dosd/" replys: operation not
>permited.

This is another problem altogether.  MSDOS does not have the concepts
of UID,GID and so on.  See "man mount" (or even the Linux-FAQ, you do
have the Linux-FAQ don't you?) for how to change the UID,GID of a
mounted DOS filesystem.