Cyrix 5x86 & Linux?

Post by John D'El » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm pondering on buying a Cyric 5x86 100 or 120 MHz chip for my ASUS SP3G PCI
motherboard.  I'm reakky curious on anyone's experience with this chip running
Linux.  Have any problems?  How's the performance?

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any feedback on this.  Thanks!

--John

--

"Rakka eda ni kaerazu, hakyou futatabi terasazu..."
   "A fallen blossom doesn't return to the branch, a broken mirror

Cyrix 5x86 & Linux?

Post by Robert Gehri » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I'm pondering on buying a Cyric 5x86 100 or 120 MHz chip for my ASUS SP3G PCI
: motherboard.  I'm reakky curious on anyone's experience with this chip running
: Linux.  Have any problems?  How's the performance?

: Anyhow, I'd appreciate any feedback on this.  Thanks!

: --John

: --

: "Rakka eda ni kaerazu, hakyou futatabi terasazu..."
:    "A fallen blossom doesn't return to the branch, a broken mirror
:        can not be made to shine..."

At Cyrix' WWW-side you can find the message that the 5x86 has been tested
running Linux. The only problem I Think is that you need an adapted BIOS
version to meet the specifics of the processor.

So long, Robert

From:  Robert Gehring

-----------------------====### legal notice###====----------------------------

Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form,in
whole or in part.  License to distribute this work is available to Microsoft
for $499.  Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

1. Cyrix 5x86 & Linux?

I'm looking to upgrade my seriously outdated system to a more modern one.
Since I'm working with very limited funds the Cyrix 5x86-100 CPU looks
like the best value for the money. I'm also looking at getting a
FIC(I think that's the right one) motherboard to put it on.

What I'm wondering is if there are any known problems/hurdles/etc,
that I'd have to get over to use Linux with this set up?

Also, should my current kernel, 1.2.11, optimized for a 486, w/o PCI
support(I'm running on a 386SX20 w/ the Cyrix 486 upgrade chip) work w/
this setup? I know I'm gonna need to recompile(will use the latest of
either 1.2, 1.3, or both) to use the PCI slots, but since kernel compiling
is a bear on my current system I thought I'd wait till I upgraded, if
possible.

Thanks!
-Chas

2. Filesystem Problem? :-/

3. Q: Linux and Cyrix 5x86 / AMD 5x86

4. No IP from dialup

5. Cyrix 5x86 FPU better than AMD 5x86 FPU?

6. Reading Protected Zipdisk

7. Linux & Cyrix 5X86

8. Where can I get the Solaris OS CD for PC

9. Sis 471 & Cyrix 5x86?

10. Cyrix 5x86 & /proc/cpuinfo

11. Cyrix 5x86 and Linux??

12. Linux on 83MHz O/D or Cyrix 5x86

13. Linux compatible with Cyrix 5x86 CPU?