Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Post by DO NOT SPAM M » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 04:15:15

Hi,

This week, CompUSA has a Western Digital 80 GB Caviar hard drive with 8MB
cache on sale for $100 after the rebates and am thinking to purchase a unit
to run Linux on it. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to install
Linux on this beast and would like to make some comments if the drive works
on Linux and perhaps its performance as well.

TIA.

Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:06:11

Quote:> Hi,

> This week, CompUSA has a Western Digital 80 GB Caviar hard drive with
> 8MB cache on sale for $100 after the rebates and am thinking to purchase
> a unit to run Linux on it. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to
> install Linux on this beast and would like to make some comments if the
> drive works on Linux and perhaps its performance as well.

> TIA.

Great drive, it's the fastest IDE drive made. Works fine with Linux.

Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Post by timeOda » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:09:50

Quote:> Hi,

> This week, CompUSA has a Western Digital 80 GB Caviar hard drive with 8MB
> cache on sale for $100 after the rebates and am thinking to purchase a
> unit to run Linux on it. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to
> install Linux on this beast and would like to make some comments if the
> drive works on Linux and perhaps its performance as well.

> TIA.

You're much more likely to have trouble with your bios, if anything.

Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Post by Brian Hal » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 04:31:00

I didn't see the 80GB/8M for sale, but I did see the 120GB/8MB for
$150 after rebates. I allocated 512MB for swap in the first partition,
and the rest as a single linux partition, then formatted it reiserfs.
Using a the RIP boot CD, I used midnight commander (mc) to copy
everything over, preserving links (first tried using tar, but
softlinks were copied as files). Then I reconnected the 120GB as hda,
rebooted with the RIP cd, and re-ran LILO. Works great!

I've only been running it a couple of days, but it is very quiet. I
adjusted it for best speed by setting the acoustic management to 254
(marginally faster, and I heard no more noise). The only slight
drawback so far is that the drive runs much hotter than my previous
5400RPM Maxtor (as expected). I've needed no extra cooling for it, but
I wouldn't recommend blocking air flow by installing another drive
right over the WD in the 3.5 drive cage!

Oh, my system: Mandrake 8.2, Abit BH6 v1.1 motherboard, PIII-600
overclocked to 800Mhz for the 133Mhz FSB.

Quote:> Hi,

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~brihall
Linux Consultant

Inertia makes the world go round.

Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:45:22

Quote:> I didn't see the 80GB/8M for sale, but I did see the 120GB/8MB for $150
> after rebates. I allocated 512MB for swap in the first partition, and
> the rest as a single linux partition, then formatted it reiserfs. Using
> a the RIP boot CD, I used midnight commander (mc) to copy everything
> over, preserving links (first tried using tar, but softlinks were copied
> as files). Then I reconnected the 120GB as hda, rebooted with the RIP
> cd, and re-ran LILO. Works great!

One comment, your life will be much easier if you keep / on a separate
partition from everything else. If you keep / separated from all of your
user data and programs you can always do a clean install when you upgrade
your OS. You should at lease create separate / and /home partitions, on a
drive taht big I'd also create a separate /usr/local. If you don't want
to allocate /usr/local separately you should mkdir /home/usr/local and
/home/opt and the replace /usr/local and /opt sith soft links to
/home/usr/local and /home/opt.

Post by Brian Hal » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:57:34

>> I didn't see the 80GB/8M for sale, but I did see the 120GB/8MB for $150
>> after rebates. I allocated 512MB for swap in the first partition, and
>> the rest as a single linux partition, then formatted it reiserfs. Using
>> a the RIP boot CD, I used midnight commander (mc) to copy everything
>> over, preserving links (first tried using tar, but softlinks were copied
>> as files). Then I reconnected the 120GB as hda, rebooted with the RIP
>> cd, and re-ran LILO. Works great!

> One comment, your life will be much easier if you keep / on a separate
> partition from everything else. If you keep / separated from all of your
> user data and programs you can always do a clean install when you upgrade
> your OS. You should at lease create separate / and /home partitions, on a
> drive taht big I'd also create a separate /usr/local. If you don't want
> to allocate /usr/local separately you should mkdir /home/usr/local and
> /home/opt and the replace /usr/local and /opt sith soft links to
> /home/usr/local and /home/opt.

I'm sorry, I don't agree. I used to use separte partitions for my
linux installs, but now I believe that to just be a waste of time and
disk space. Typically when I upgrade the OS (maybe every other
Mandrake release or so), I wipe the drive to remove any accumlated
'cruft' of stuff I've installed and forgetten about, and then restore
from backup. Partitioning on workstations is really a matter of
personal preference, IMHO.

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~brihall
Linux Consultant

Inertia makes the world go round.

1. Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

I have been trying to install Linux on a packard-bell system with 8 Mb of ram
and a 1 Gb Western Digital hard drive. The hard drive is using WD's Ontrac disk
manager(dynamic drive overlay), when I ty to use linux's fdisk to repartition
the drive, it does not recognize the drive correctly. Is there someone here who
has installed linux on a system with a similar drive? How was the drive
repartitioned? The problem seems to be in the way the used blocks are reported
back to the OS, although I am not sure.

Gary Ridley

2. Diffs to YABL

3. Western Digital 80gb drive (WD800JB)

4. Solved:Boot/Root disk problems

5. Drive Survey (Western Digital Caviar)

6. Right Alt key doesn't work??

7. (fwd) Re: Drive Survey (Western Digital Caviar)

8. Passing shell variables to Sed

9. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2048 Cylinders in Linux

10. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

11. western digital caviar and linux

12. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?