[: too many arguments error in RH 6.1, please help

[: too many arguments error in RH 6.1, please help

Post by Jason Rhode » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I get the following error message when I login as a non-root user
[: too many arguments

Some things work fine, and others don't.  For instance, I can type startx to
get xwindows running, but netscape and sound don't work. They do work when I
log in as root.
Can you offer any suggestions?
Jason

[: too many arguments error in RH 6.1, please help

Post by Christia » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Check ".bashrc", ".bash_profile" or ".profile" (not sure for the last
one with bash) on your homedir.

Christian

> I get the following error message when I login as a non-root user
> [: too many arguments

> Some things work fine, and others don't.  For instance, I can type startx to
> get xwindows running, but netscape and sound don't work. They do work when I
> log in as root.
> Can you offer any suggestions?
> Jason

[: too many arguments error in RH 6.1, please help

Post by Iqbal Husain Thake » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

hi,

i had this problem too ... it was solved because it looks like a permissions
problem to me ... do an echo $PATH and then check if all the paths listed have
the execute permission to them ... most probably the execute permission is not
there in the /usr/bin directory ... u can do a "chmod -R +x /usr/bin" and that
should work fine ... incidentally just to be sure ... check permissions for all
the paths listed in ur .bashrc and .bash_profile and also the ones that r there
by default ...

ciao .. best of luck !!

Iqbal.

> I get the following error message when I login as a non-root user
> [: too many arguments

> Some things work fine, and others don't.  For instance, I can type startx to
> get xwindows running, but netscape and sound don't work. They do work when I
> log in as root.
> Can you offer any suggestions?
> Jason

[: too many arguments error in RH 6.1, please help

Post by Jason Rhode » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I tried this and it didn't seem to change anything. I did
chmod -R +x /usr/bin
for each directory in my path as shown by "echo $PATH" (changing the
directory name in the above statement, of course). In a few cases I didn't
have premission to do that, so I did it as root instead. I don't have any
paths listed in .bashrc and I checked the ones in .bash_profile as above.
What else could be going wrong?
Thanks,

Jason