toe -> 'toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm.'

toe -> 'toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm.'

Post by lbai.. » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've been trying to correct a problem in which (with only 2 users on the
system: root and a non-priviledged user): root can use the backspace key
to delete backwards in xterm but the non-priviledged user deletes
forward rather than backward in xterm (when that user has started kde).
At first, I thought I'd find the answer via
http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html as suggested by hburgiss below.

However, the 'toe' command works for root; but for the non-priviledged
user, 'toe' yields:  "toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm. My system
is Mandrake 6.1 (i.e., Redhat).  I've been trying to see if I mistakenly
removed a SUID or GUID on a program needed for /usr/share/terminfo/....
or perhaps something related to permissions?

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
lb

Post by T.E.Dicke » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> However, the 'toe' command works for root; but for the non-priviledged
> user, 'toe' yields:  "toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm. My system
> is Mandrake 6.1 (i.e., Redhat).  I've been trying to see if I mistakenly
> removed a SUID or GUID on a program needed for /usr/share/terminfo/....
> or perhaps something related to permissions?

I noticed a long-standing bug in 'toe' recently that made it break if you
have a $HOME/.terminfo directory (fixed in patches to 5.0)

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. toe -> "toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm"

I've been trying to correct a problem in which (with only 2 users on the
system: root and a non-priviledged user): root can use the backspace key
to delete backwards in xterm but the non-priviledged user deletes
forward rather than backward in xterm (when that user has started kde).
At first, I thought I'd find the answer via
http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html as suggested by hburgiss below.

However, the 'toe' command works for root; but for the non-priviledged
user, 'toe' yields:  "toe: couldn't open terminfo file xterm.  My system
is Mandrake 6.1 (i.e., Redhat).  I've been trying to see if I mistakenly
removed a SUID or GUID on a program needed for /usr/share/terminfo/....
or perhaps something related to permissions?

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
lb

On 20 Dec 1999 07:56:13 GMT, Gregor Diseth

 http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html (Del/BS)

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

2. hard disk size limits/PCI controller

3. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'

4. Recreation: new solitaire games for X11 on tsx-11

5. ksh ': >a >b' -vs- '>a >b' re speed

6. Listing recursively files and directories

7. xconsole 'Couldn't open console'

8. 2.4.20 eepro100 driver: Becker's or Intel's?

9. Viper: Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X386/lib/X11/rgb'

10. VNC: Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt'

11. Fatal server error: couldn't open default font 'fixed'

12. Error when starting X: "couldn't open default font 'fixed'"

13. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?