Increasing screen refresh rate

Post by Alex Kaufma » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Right now I run at 72hz, what changes should I make in XF86Config to go
higher? I'd like 85hz.

Increasing screen refresh rate

Post by Olof Andersso » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Well I don't know. I tried to change the XF86Config without knowing what I
did. To put it mildly, I was not satisfied with the result, got a frequency
of maybe 10 and sometimes Xwindows did not even start. So don't hack around
in XF86Config without some literature. I would recommend that you run
Xconfig, or maybe it was Xconfiguration? (well try the tab), instead. It is
a program that allows you to select your graphic card and screen. It also
allows you to specify the frequency manually. But don't specify higher rates
then the screen can handle.

Quote:> Right now I run at 72hz, what changes should I make in XF86Config to go
> higher? I'd like 85hz.

Increasing screen refresh rate

Post by Anita Lew » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

You'd have to find modelines there that have that frequency and insure that
they will run.  Backup your XF86Config first.

If you find a modeline that is 85hz and the right resolution, you could
give it a new name like so with an "a" on the end

Modeline "1024x768a"    44.9  1024 1048 1208 1264   768  776  784  817

Then go to Screen Section and put it in the first spot.

 Modes       "1024x768a" "800x600"

Don't change your settings for horiz or vert so that if the thing doesn't
work, X will just not work.  I am assuming that you start up at level 3 and
not automatically into X.  You want to be out of X when you do this of
course.  And you will need to be root.

Now if the modeline does not work, you may be able to make one.
http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/Xwoes.html has information and a site
where you can calculate the numbers.

You can read the VideoTiming Howto.  It should be in docs and is called
VideoModes.doc  That explains how to make modelines among many other
things.  What you will be able to do after reading that doc is to adjust a
modeline so that it is at the refresh rate that you want.

If things go sour, replace your Backup.

Anita

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:30:44

Post by Aron Felix Gursk » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Right now I run at 72hz, what changes should I make in XF86Config to go
> higher? I'd like 85hz.

In order to do that, you may have to reduce the resolution. If you have the
manuals for both your monitor and your graphics board, you can use the following
URL

        http://www.inria.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

to generate mode lines that you can use in XF86Config that are tuned to your
equipment, which means that you'll be able to get the best possible performance
out of your hardware.

--
        -- Aron

NB: To reply by e-mail, remove "spam-block." from my address.
The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.

Increasing screen refresh rate

Post by Jim McIntyr » Sun, 14 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi Alex
The easiest to do this is to run XF86Setup. It's the easiest tool for
changing settings in X.
Jim McIntyre