Help:What ist the address of a Plug-and-Play Soundcard?

Help:What ist the address of a Plug-and-Play Soundcard?

Post by Benedikt Erns » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi!
I have got the ES1868 Soundblaster Pro compatible Soundcard (Plug and
Play).
The Kernel is compiled with the Sound-Blaster Pro Drivers.
But if I want to use /dev/audio or /dev/dsp the answer is
/dev/audio: No such device or address

I think the reason for this is, that the address in the driver is
not set correctly. But how can I find the real address of the card?

If somebody has an idea, pleas mail me!

Greetings,
Benedikt

Post by Angus Nor » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: I have got the ES1868 Soundblaster Pro compatible Soundcard (Plug and
: Play).
: The Kernel is compiled with the Sound-Blaster Pro Drivers.
: But if I want to use /dev/audio or /dev/dsp the answer is
: /dev/audio: No such device or address

I've just set one of those up, with a Vegas Tech. PnP card.
I was a little worried i'd have to stuff around with one of those
memory poking pnp boot things but just used the defaults in the
kernel compilation (Base address 0x220, irq 5, dma reg. 1) and it
worked fine.
Don't forget to run the script at the end of
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux
and don't forget to re-run lilo on your new kernel.
You should see messages during boot (which you can later look at with
"dmesg") and should see something with "cat /dev/sndstat" after rebooting.

The odd thing is, it's a 16 bit card, but I can only operate in 8 bit
mode, otherwise the various players I have make a horrible scratchy noise.
Ideas, anyone?

1. Plug-and-play soundcard - severe trouble!!

I have a windows95-ready plug-and-play soundcard in my computer (damn me!). I
installed the Slackware 3.0 distribution (bare boot, color root, regular IDE
kernel), no problems. I did not install LILO, but made a boot-disk (to be on
the safe side with the other OS on my system).

When I try to boot linux, the system hangs during the hardware initialisation.
First linux initialises the printer, and directly after this a short 'tick' is
heard from the speakers of the soundcard and then nothing happens... There's
even no reaction to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I don't have the intention to use my soundcard with linux, and I hope there
must be a way to let linux to ignore it or something... The Sound-HOWTO says
current linux-versions are not ready for plug-and-play, but does that mean I
cannot run linux on a computer with such a card in it?

My data:

S23 audio card
16 bit
Windows95 plug-and-play ready
NSP ready
Software settings of I/O,IRQ and DMA

It is currently using IRQ 9, DMA 0 and 1, I/O 0534-0537 and 0388-038B and
0220-022F
I tested the linux booting after removing all cards except the soundcard, and
still the problem occurs, so I don't think it is a conflict with another card.
With all cards removed, linux boots correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Vic Mortelmans

2. NIS: Changing Passwords from Clients

3. Help, Plug and Play Modem (SupraExpress 28.8i PNP) and Soundcard (SB AWE64) installation problems

4. Lucid Emacs 19.8 with linux?

5. A plug for the Plug-and-Play Howto

6. enc0

7. help: running ygg plug-and-play without CD

8. UMSDOS - Anyone tried it?

9. trying to get plug & play soundcard to work...

10. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

11. Plug-and-Play Linux (fall 94) and EtherExpress PRO - any words of wisdom?

12. Problem installing PLug-and-play