sendmail can't receive from cc:mail & ms-mail

sendmail can't receive from cc:mail & ms-mail

Post by Ko Ki » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

hi all,

I installed a Redhat 5.0 with sendmail-8.8.7 rpm package, everything
works fine except mails from cc:mail and ms-mail client always bounce
back.  What did i do wrong?

Regards,
KoKin

p.s. I'm sorry if this is not the most suitable newsgroup to post, but i
don't see a more suitable one.

Post by Duncan Simps » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>hi all,
>I installed a Redhat 5.0 with sendmail-8.8.7 rpm package, everything
>works fine except mails from cc:mail and ms-mail client always bounce
>back.  What did i do wrong?

Nothing. MS mail and cc:mail are broken things that need a lot of help
to enable them to speak SMTP, like the rest of the Internet. Sendmail speaks
ESMTP (and plain SMTP, if forced) and more flexinilty that cc:mail and
MSmail have even dreampt about. Sendmail 8.8.x can easily implement mail
servers can will not act as spam relays, reject mail from certain senders
and even refuse to speak to specially selected IP numbers (presumably you
select IP numbers belonging to spammers for this treatment).

Duncan (-:

Post by Michael Talbot-Wils » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>hi all,

>>I installed a Redhat 5.0 with sendmail-8.8.7 rpm package, everything
>>works fine except mails from cc:mail and ms-mail client always bounce
>>back.  What did i do wrong?

>Nothing. MS mail and cc:mail are broken things that need a lot of help
>to enable them to speak SMTP, like the rest of the Internet. Sendmail speaks

There are some good (and free) mail clients for the Microsoft GUIs.  Why
do you want to run *like cc:Mail and Microsoft Mail?

Take a look at Pegasus.

--Mike

Post by Roy Stogn » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>>I installed a Redhat 5.0 with sendmail-8.8.7 rpm package, everything
>>>works fine except mails from cc:mail and ms-mail client always bounce
>>>back.  What did i do wrong?

>>Nothing. MS mail and cc:mail are broken things that need a lot of help
>>to enable them to speak SMTP, like the rest of the Internet. Sendmail speaks

>There are some good (and free) mail clients for the Microsoft GUIs.  Why
>do you want to run *like cc:Mail and Microsoft Mail?

Are cc:Mail and Microsoft Mail really sending invalid SMTP???  I'd be
interested to see someone net-cat together a buffer between sendmail
and these programs to capture the transactions taking place.
---
Roy Stogner