Mandrake 8.0 hangs during install - scsi probing?

Mandrake 8.0 hangs during install - scsi probing?

Post by Triboelectri » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:17:41

Hullo,

Hardware:
  Supermicro 370DE6, 1x 1GHz PIIIs
  Adaptec 2490U2W
  Tekram DC-390U3D

Mandrake 8.0 has been* on me just after "Select Installation Type",
which is where it attempts to find your scsi cards, I believe.  It hangs for
both the above cards at the same place.  Doing a text install shows
(checking virt term 3) that it is* at or immediately after an insmod
of parport_pc.o

I have flashed the BIOS on the MB and both SCSI cards: no difference.

I have also used expert mode and selected the proper drivers, it still hangs
at the same spot.  Is there some way to disable the scsi probing?

Tried alternate boot disks (kernel 2.2.14 and 2.2.19): no difference.

By the way, here is the puncher:  This install USED to work, with the same
hardware.  I was attempting a fresh installation after having installed 8.0
for test purposes.  On the second time around, all the above garbage sets
in.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Mandrake 8.0 hangs during install - scsi probing?

Post by Dave Marot » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 05:05:06

I don't know what would specifically cause your system to hang, but I have
totally ditched Mandrake now.  I'm sick of it crapping out on my, I'm sick of
packages not updating properly etc...

I tried to update to Mandrake 8.0 from 7.2 (which was ...ok, but still had
package issues for me) - and it hung on me during the install which corrupted
my system (lucky I backed up).

Then I tried a fresh install of 8.0 - which hung at the end but did not corrupt
my system (it turned out that it installed just fine, but it hung).

I got fed up and ditched it in favor of a Redhat 7.1 install which has been
running for a long time now without any hitches.

-dave

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Dave Marotti                | Looking for a Visio alternative for *nix?    |

1. RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Hello;

I downloaded CD 1,2,3 from RH ftp site.
Burned the CD's ok.
Next, I rebooted the PC and put CD 1 in.
Next, I did the media check on all the three CD's and everything passed.
Next I went through the installation. Asked to install everything.
Next, it finished CD1 and asked me to enter CD2. I did. Then it started
installing packages from CD2 ok. after few minutes and number of packages
installed, the whole thing hanged. I waited and waited and nothing is
changing and no more packages are being installed. the system is froze.

I rebooted and tried again. The same thing happened.

Next, I rebooted and did not select everything, but selected small number
of pckages. Again CD2 was read, but this time it did not hang, since now
very small number of package was being read.

So, the installation now completed OK.

I boot into the system, go to root and select 'packages' under 'system tools'
from the main menu. I now select all the packages that I did not select
during installation.

It asks me to insert CD1, it starts reading the packages, and now the
whole system hangs again (it happened to be reading the gcc package, but
that is just by chance). The system freezes. the mouse does not move.

my PC is a new PC. 2 CPU (I select smp when booting). It is ZEON, 2.4 GHZ,
mother board is supermicro MBD-P4DME. This PC have no HW problem, I run windoz
OK on it for 4 months now.

kernel is 'Linux 2.4.18-14smp' (the one that comes with RH 8, I did not
recompile or build anything new).

CDROM is YAMAHA CRW2200E (CD/RW).

has anyone else has similar problems?
What do you think can be wrong?
where else to look for possible problem?

2. Redhat 6.0 and Motif (?)

3. Mandrake 8.0 on an old laptop, memory requirements during install

4. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 7874436486

5. Kernel Panic during install mandrake 8.0 ppc

6. ARNET smartport

7. SUSE 8.0 hangs during install

8. Novell and SCO on one server ?

9. My system hangs during format of hard drive when installing RHL 8.0

10. Mandrake 8.0 install hang iso

11. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)