Executive Tools, Inc. is developing products and services for the
Linux market. We are pleased to announce the availability of the
first such product, ET Linux, Volume 1 Number 0. In order to have the
best possible Linux foundation on which to build and to eliminate
redundant efforts, we chose to build a system based on ELF. We now
have the only distribution that we know of that has been completely
rebuilt with only ELF executables. Among the advantages offered by a
full conversion to the ELF format is that running both types of
binaries on your system simultaneously consumes twice the memory for
shared libraries which can drastically impede performance in systems
with 16Mb of memory or less.
Recently, H. J. Lu posted a note expressing his desire for Linux
developers to move to the ELF executable format. We feel like ET
Linux is a big step in that direction. We hope other developers will
continue to move in this direction so that the old libraries may be
Our future products will be enhanced by the availability of other
Linux applications. We will continue to enhance and support our
distribution to provide a solid platform for the use and development
of Linux applications.
The primary goal of the initial release of ET Linux is two-fold. First,
we wanted to make the ELF platform available to as many developers as
soon as possible. In ET Linux, we have done the tedious work of conversion
to ELF for you. Secondly, we wanted to obtain input from the community on
what should be included, how installation and updates should work, etc. for
future releases. Using that input we will continue to enhance installation,
ease of use, and maintainability.
ET Linux is based on the BOGUS 1.0.1 distribution by Rickard E. Faith,
Kevin E. Martin and Doug L. Hoffman. We have obtained their permission
to modify and distribute their work.
* All executables are in ELF format.
* We have compiled all executables and obtained source from reliable
* Everything required to rebuild this distribution from source is
* Package Management System (PMS) allows easy package installation
* PMS allows easy removal of packages.
* All packages include ftp locations and directory path names.
* PMS package allows easy updating of packages instead of
reinstalling the entire operating system.
* We will be maintaining the distribution on an ongoing basis.
* We will provide a limited level of support for coordinating bug
* We will provide a greater level of support on a contract basis.
* Supports a.out binaries.
* Boot disks use the new 1.68Mb format.
* 1.68Mb Boot/Root diskettes included.
* New ELF binaries are still being produced and will be available
via anonymous ftp from et.comland.com.
* A new release will be made approximately one week after the public
release of ELF libc. Update proceedure will also be available on
* Ftp server will be available after May 5th.
------------- Packages Included --------------------
ET Linux is available for $25.00 plus shipping and handling from:
Executive Tools, Inc.
PO Box 215
Round Rock, TX 78680-0215
1 800 864-5150
1 512 218-9600
Due to U.S. export restrictions we regret that this product is currently
available in the United States and Canada only.
We can be reached by email for product inquiries at the address