Udma 66 and Linux

Post by Erik » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Is there any way to install a Linux distrubtion on a Udma 66 hard disc.
The distrubution that I intend to use is redhat 6.1.

I would be very grateful for any ideas :-)

/Erik

Udma 66 and Linux

Post by Hal Burgi » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there any way to install a Linux distrubtion on a Udma 66 hard disc.
>The distrubution that I intend to use is redhat 6.1.

>I would be very grateful for any ideas :-)

Force the drive into UDMA33 mode. Maybe the BIOS can do this. If not,
try using an old style 40 pin ribbon cable. This worked for me. Note the
UDMA66 requires an 80 pin cable, which looks very similar, but is not.

--
Hal B

--

Udma 66 and Linux

Post by George Scheiferstei » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

There is a way to get Linux to see ATA/66 Hard Drives without recompiling
the kernel or patching it.  There is an article at a great site for newbies
discussing many ways to make Linux easier.  My setup is one 2.5 GB hd that
contains linux (hda) and my primary Windows Drive (hde) that is ATA/66.
With ATA/66 I do not believe you can install LILO in the MBR but I dont have
that problem.  LILO is in the MBR of my 2.5 (hda).  Add in the argument at
the LILO prompt and bingo!!!  I used the argument at the LILO prompt during
(before) I installed Mandrake 7 and it let me mount the ATA/66 drive
partitions during setup.  Also, it automatically set the arguments in the
LILO setup before it wrote it to the MBR.  Mandrake 7 has worked flawless
for me (except for my ZIP).  Check it out at the bottome of the page.

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/udma66.html

George